1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DBX 131 in the Effects Loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jd_watt, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Hi all, I'm new to rack gear, and I may have an opportunity to pickup a DBX 131 this week, but I have to run it in my effects loop. Can anyone take q quick look, and let me know if this type of unit would work in the loop of a PF500? Thank you, and apologies for the noob-like question http://www.dbxpro.com/en-US/products/131

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it'll work that way, but not much reason for it in the first place.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Effects loop would be the right place for it, as it's a line level device.

4. jd_watt

jd_watt

Thanks guys - very helpful!

Just out of curiosity, walterw, why would there not be much reason for it? Just wondering how you know that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

A 31 band EQ is basically overkill, especially when you have a working EQ on your amp.

I can see adding a small pedal based EQ to turn on and off as needed.

7. jd_watt

jd_watt

It does seem a little excessive, definitely. I'm mainly interested in taming some low, lows (50hz and below) with the option of shaping my mids to compensate for my cab going a bit too low. I don't want to to find a new cab, and I don't want to kill all of that frequency before the amp because I use that as a send to FOH. I want the sound man to have the full spectrum, but I want to adjust my sound into the cab.

My boss pedal distorts in the loop.