DD-20: Giga Delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DubBassfunk, Nov 9, 2009.

1. DubBassfunk

DubBassfunk

quick question about this pedal. does the sound on sound recording setting mean that it does looping? for exmple the line 6 dl-4. if it does what would you recommend between the dd20 or the dl4. thanks for reading
    peace
  2. lowregister

lowregister

Yeah both the DL-4 and DD-20 can loop. I'm not sure how long each can loop though.

I know the DL-4 has more in terms of delay sounds, strange ones like ping-pong and the like. The DD-20 is more straight up and technical, you can dial in, to the cent, the amount of repeat in mS. The DL-4 lets you tap and dial in by hand like the dd-20 but it's not as exact.

I hope that helps.
  3. DubBassfunk

DubBassfunk

awesome man thank you for the help.
    peace
  4. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    I just received my DD-20 today and it's more that I expected - 23 sec of delay, echo, loop, 2 tape modes and multiple memory modes. This one will keep me busy at least 'til Thanksgiving. Answer; yes and more!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Got a picture of that puppy?
  7. DubBassfunk

DubBassfunk

i cant decide on a dl-4 or dd-20 both are pretty killer.
  8. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
  9. René_Julien

René_Julien

+1

The DL-4 has some very cool sounds. Good modelling if you are into that. Sound quality is good.
    But like lowregister said, not easy to dial in. I often get frustrated with it.

(But... I also have the POD X3 Pro, and compared all the delays between the X3 and DL-4.... strangely, the POD does it better than the DL-4)

The DD-20 is good if you are not into modelling, but technical and complex delays. Pure digital goodness.

Think of it this way: the DD-20 is like a fretted bass and the DL-4 is like a fretless. :)

I have no experience with looping.
  10. Jumbotron

Jumbotron

My take is that the DD20 is better for delay, but that the DL4 is a better looper. I did looping with the DD20, and it works fine, but you can't reverse it or do half/double pitch. So the looper is less versatile. However, you can do some pretty awesome stuff by setting the delay on the DD20 to a really long time, like 16 seconds.
  11. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

I'll even disagree with that, too. I think the DD-20's analog sim is pretty durned good. Good enough that I was able to fool someone into thinking a recording I did was done with a real analog.
  12. René_Julien

René_Julien

I was not saying it wasn't any good. But I wasn't impressed with it.
    Maybe I looked more at the other features of the DD-20.
    (And I am not a fan of the DM-2 anyway ;))

IMO the DL-4 has more on the menu when it comes to modelling... that's what I meant with "if you're into that".

I do not own the DD-20, just tested it for about 20 minutes in a store.
    I do own the RE-20 and the Line 6 DL-4.

IMO the DL-4 is very good at the modelling... of the Echoplex delays and the Space Echo.
    Well, I don't know if the modelling is accurate, since I am not familiar with those vintage units for real, but I think the sound quality is very good.
    I like the Space Echo model more on the DL-4 than on the RE-20.
    RE-20 is not bad either, easier to dial in. But it's a bit more "reverby" IME and I don't like that.
    Maybe the RE-20 is better at actually replicating the Space Echo... but my ears like the DL-4 a bit more.

It's all what you expect of it and how it sounds to your own ears.
    Knowing what I know now, I'd never buy the DL-4 and RE-20, but the DD-20 instead. But.... because I want to use it as a digital delay with different presets.
    I like analog delay too, but for that EHX is my choice.
  13. bobbass4k

bobbass4k

I will never stop trying to convince everyone to buy the dd-20. It's got features pouring out the wazoo, simple to use and actually sounds really damned good
  14. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

+1

Great sounding pedal, very good pedal feel and immediacy in SOS mode, and don't forget that you can use tap-tempo to set some of the delays to long loop times. That means that you can get other looping effects than the plan SOS mode. Set a high, but not too high, feedback setting and you get looping similar to the EDP. The original material fades out and is replaced by the newer material. Love the warp mode too.

As much as I like my Line6 M9, the DD-20 has some tricks that nothing else can match. I performed with a DL-4 for about 6 months before getting the DD-20, and IMO the DD-20 sounded better, had better feeling switches, and the tape delay on the Boss was better.
  15. DubBassfunk

DubBassfunk

can both pedals do the self oscillation thing like a true analog delay. very trippy modulations?
  16. icarussmicarus

icarussmicarus

The both DD-20 and DL-4 do a pretty good job of oscillation but its a fair bit different sounding than an analog delay oscillating. I'd describe the sound as more all consuming and present in a mix, loud aggressive oscillation.
  17. fightthepower

fightthepower

+1!

I lovvve my DM-2 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the DD-20's analog mode. The differences shine when you start tweaking the knobs, but for straight up delay the DD-20 does an excellent analog emulation, as well as a host of other great options and modes.

That's a pretty good description; the volume of the delay/oscillation and size of the sample is more of a constant than with analog oscillation ime.
  18. xray

xray

+1 Analog sim is really, really good. And if you compare that with all the other goodies you get with the DD-20 - you'd spend way more than 180 to even come close. I'm still amazed at the capabilities of this box.
  19. 6810

Just out of curiosity...

If you had the choice between the two

DD-7 or the DD-20.

They both go for about the same price these days (here in Japan anyway) and with the exception of recording time and getting all freaky with the twist on the DD20, I can't see why I should get the DD20 over the DD-7 (especially since used I can get teh DD-7 for about $140)
  20. 12bass

12bass

Depends on what you want. DD-20 has a display for time/BPM, plus user presets.
  21. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

+1 - the presets are a HUGE factor. Unless you only ever use one delay setting during a gig. And the BPM display is useful for when I'm trying to play along with a bunch of midi-sync'd synths and a drum machine.