1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DD7 question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smeet, Mar 22, 2014.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking for a nice pristine sounding delay (clear repeats) with a good accurate tap tempo that can subdivide at dotted 8ths and quarter note triplets. And a separate tap button, I hate that dual-function button thing. Is the DD-7 a good candidate for this?

I know it wants an external tap switch, but given that I get either the Boss or another tap footswitch, is this what I'm looking for? Or is there a better/cheaper one?

2. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    What's your budget?

3. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

I would take a look at the TC Electronic Nova Repeater if you can find a good deal on one.

4. smeet

My budget is "cheap". :)
    Let's say about $100 used.

I have a memory lane jr, and it's great but I want something with digital clarity. I don't need any features other that the ones I mentioned.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scotch

Disclosures:
    Separate tap button & subdivisions for $100 is tough!

7. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Have you looked at the Tech 21 BB DLA?

8. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    Line 6 M5 is the ticket. Little big but you get all the DL4 delays in a smaller package plus a whole lot more. Has a bunch of subdivide options and dedicated tap.

9. scotch

Disclosures:
    +1 I'm not sure why I didn't think of that.

10. smeet

Interesting. How is the sound quality on the M5, and how about the bypass? I remember thinking the drives and modulation on the M9 etc sounded a bit weak. It is a bit big. How many of the effects are useful on bass? The audio clips on the Line 6 site don't play for me.

I think I could get a used DD-7 plus a footswitch for close to $100. Will that be a better solution than the M5 for delay only?

Plus, I'd like my pitch effects at the start of the chain and the delay at the end. But maybe...

Hmmm.

Dang, I'm rambling. Late gig. Can the M5 do anything about my guitarist? He's REALLY getting on my nerves.

11. scotch

Disclosures:
    The M5 delays are very good on bass and guitar. Some of the modulation as well. The pitch shifting is only so-so on bass.

Power is an issue on some M series. I've had problems (all fixable) and some colleagues as well. Many folks have no issues.

12. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    I agree, the delays are great. I use my M5 currently for short delays, I also use it as a graphic EQ and volume pedal to do tone and volume adjustments for certain sections. I use it on one song as a massive ethereal reverb for swell stuff. I do use the pitch glide to do transposition stuff (lowering a half step) and some octave work. I think the pitch shifting is great on the M5. It's digital, not unlike the POG sound, but tracks really well (much better than my OC2). With an expression pedal (or controlling it via midi) you can do some fun pitch bending things. For what it's worth I have my M5 at the very end of my chain, but I'm considering buying an M9 to put in the back and moving my M5 up front.

I don't find a lot of uses out of the modulation, and they are the weak link of the M class effects I think. I found one phaser sound that works, but now that I have the SA Orbital, I won't need it. The drives aren't great for bass, but I have used the Sub Octave Fuzz with good results.

Overall for $85-100 you can pick up a used M5 and it'll be the most full featured delay for the money, anything else you get out if it should be considering bonus.

13. scotch

Disclosures:
    Yeah, it's worth it for the delays. Good delays & a large mixed bag of gravy!

The drives kinda suck on bass. I'm pretty flexible on octaver/pitch shifting. The M5 just sounds flat to me. Tracks fine but tone is blah.

14. scotch

Disclosures:
    Smeet, probably the best way to deal with an annoying guitarist is to put sheet music in front of him. He'll turn down, anyway... ;-)

15. smeet

Thanks guys, I'll check out the M5! If I can get some reverb and pitch shifting in the bargain, maybe the mixed gravy will work for me.

And thanks also for the guitarist advice, but I think mine is too wily and cunning for that. I hand out charts and he says "I'm dyslexic, so I can't read charts while I play". Funny how his dyslexia doesn't show up in any other area of his life. And here I am, talking about him just as he imagines everybody always does. Arg.

So, yeah. Delay. :D

16. scotch

Disclosures: