1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

De-fretting gone wrong. Worth my time?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by canttouchthis, Dec 4, 2013.

1. canttouchthis

canttouchthis

Hey bass folk.
    Ok so here's my ordeal. I've been interested in Gibson Rippers for too long. I'm more than happy to take the time and money to revive this sweetheart (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Gibson...T-/221327400846?pt=Guitar&hash=item3388241f8e), but I've hit a wall. This fella botched an attempted de-fretting job, and I'm not sure if removal of the material to be re-fretted is safe/realistic/reliable. Although it could very possibly scrape right out, I have no experience fretting and I don't want to kill the thing. You can see how treacherous it could be in the 'neck-close-up' pic. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be fantastic. Thanks!

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass canttouchthis.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary on that DIY de-fret, he just probably used white glue to fill the slots and used round-wound strings to gouge the FB.

A bit of FB dressing and new frets shouldn't be too hard.

Regards
    Sam

3. lundborg

lundborg

Removal of the filling can be done with a good fret slot saw. You need to cut straight and not deep enough.
    However fretting is not uncomplicated, so as a first project it can be a bit hazardous, (depending on your practical skills of course).

You will also need to fix the chipping at the slots that you can see in the pictures, if you want the end result to look good.

IMO the price is too high, given that you need to acquire all missing parts for it, let alone the time spent.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I second that emotion.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

675 is an outrage.

7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

+1

That guy's going to be holding on to that one for a long time.

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Do the math:

$2-300 carcass
    $4-500 worth of parts
    $300 fret job
    + labor to assemble and fix unknown problems
    Why didn't I just buy one for eleven hundred off of eBay and save myself a lot of grief?

All of the above assumes that the OP has the skills and experience to do the work. This is not a project for amateurs. Re-fretting a de-fret isn't much fun.

A quick check of sold listings reveals like goods sold in the last month for five hundred dollars. It also shows several complete instruments sold for less than the assembled price above.

9. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

The guy is trying to make a fortune parting the thing out. I saw $199 for the pickguard and $199 for one pickup. The guy is a wrecker!

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

De-Fretting is NEVER a good idea. I've learned the hard way.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can clean the fret lines out with a fret saw or a hobby saw about .020 wide, but the price is ridiculous. It's a $199 shell as far as I'm concerned.

12. canttouchthis

canttouchthis

Wow you guys are great. I was under the impression I could pick up the parts for roughly what an intact Ripper would cost (including this body), but seeing as I have no experience in the re-fret department I can't justify the money. And what a wad this cat must be to tear up such a gorgeous instrument to make a buck :spit: I can't support that.

Thanks again, folks. Take care.

13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

You can always replace the fretboard like this guy did for his G3.

Edit:
    Actually, it doesn't look bad enough for a fretboard replacement but I'm going to leave this link anyway.

14. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

I agree it's priced way to high. You should be able to find one on here for $200 more than he is asking.