Dead Sunbeams vs. La Bella Deeps

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by P-oddz, Mar 19, 2014.

1. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Anyone that can chime in please do....

I want to know if these strings share any similar territory. Obviously, I know one is a round wound and the other is a flat, so I'm not talking about that.

I'm on a set of Sunbeams on my '62 AVRI Jazz bass. I've always really liked the Sunbeams on the Jazz, but I'm finding now that I LOVE them dead. Punch for days, smooth highs and a nice present midrange. I've had this set on my jazz since last summer with a lot of wear in between. I want to know if the La Bella's share any similar tone territory.

The obvious answer would be just to purchase a set, but shy of doing that, I was wondering if anyone could speak to these particularly. I'm afraid one of these days my Sunbeams are just going to unwind or completely fail on me and want to know if I can maintain this tone I love in another string.
  2. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

I'd say the TI's or Sadowsky flats will get you closer than the LaBellas.
  3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    different.
    LaBella Deep Talkin' Jamerson (New or Old) is far much better than dead SunBeam.
    (this from my own experience. I used to love dead round wound - try some of them incl. the DR - before now exclusively use the Labella)
  5. Register to disable this ad