Dealing with a Terrible Band Name

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Shanenahs, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Shanenahs

Shanenahs

I'm the new bassist in a cover band from Georgia. We play Soul, Rock and Country music. The band has changed names a few times, but they usually go back to one of the worst band names I can think of... The Georgia Boys. The sad thing is that there are more popular bands with variations of the same name. My band is opting to change it to The Georgia Boyz or The GA. Boyz... :rollno: which makes us sound like some southern homosexuals in the late 80s. I've been around for a month now, but I don't have any leverage since I'm new and happen to be the youngest in the group. Do I grin and bear it or try to wear them down over time?

Any advice is welcome :help:
  2. prd004

prd004

Been there. Wow the variations are among the worst names I've heard.

I think your only real option is to propose better ones and hope one catches.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

I used to be in a band with a stupid name so I feel your pain. But if it's a good band and the the name isn't keeping you from gigging, then it really doesn't matter.

Now if they change Boys to Boyz.... :eyebrow:
  4. DanNowhere

DanNowhere

I feel your pain. I was in a cover band for years called Twentyfour/7. There were three other bands with the same name in our CITY, not to mention the fourteen thousand other ones probably around the country. Lame-o. Never could convince the band leader to change the name. I quit that band about six years ago and they're still going by that name. Whatever works, I guess.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Are you sure it's the same band?

[​IMG]

I'm here all week...try the fish!
  7. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

All band names are stupid IMO.
  8. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Boyz?? Eew......that sounds like rappers in da 'hood, know wut I'm sayin, yo yo y-y-y-yo

and then yo again :rollno:
  9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You need to come up with a better name. I would tell them that a name change would avoid being confused with other bands in your area and suggest that everyone make a list of names to see what you come up with.

I was in a band that went through several name changes. We were asked to do a gig before we really wanted to play out but did it anyway. We didn't have a name and a friend joking said Over The Hill so we used O.T. H. for the one gig. People were calling the venue asking what kind of music "Oth" played. We were trying to come up with a better name and one of the guitarists suggested "The Sex Towels". A few days later we were watching The Concert for Bangladesh and the other guitarist said we should call the band "Bang A Dish". We settled on "Double Take" which I wasn't crazy about but it was better than anything else at the time.
  10. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

True! So are names for humans, bugs, cars, cities, states, and countries. (Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island......discuss!)

But I guess having some kind of label increases convenience.
  11. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

"The GA Boyz" Hahaha! That's priceless!

It sounds like you have to grin and bear it unless you come up with a completely unassailable good name and everyone else agrees with you on the need for the change...like that's going to happen :p

Today only, I'll throw one out free of charge...so, a Georgia band, playing a mix of soul, rock and country that's been saddled with a bad name?

Swagger jacked is what you are, so "Swagger Jacked" or just "Swagger Jack"
  12. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Too bad 'The Band' is already taken.

It seems to me liek bands are finding dumber and dummer names as the yeers go onn;
  13. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

At least your band's not called "Bridge Construction." I hate that name. I tried to tell the band leader that but it's like talking to a rock when it comes to naming his band.

My advice, get someone else in the band to see how bad of a name it is and then you have a little bit more leverage. Also, try opening a dictionary or a thesaurus to get some more ideas. Think about what you play and try to derive a name from a song title or a lyric from a song you play.

There's tons of options but it may take thinking outside the box to find a good name that everyone will agree on. Don't give up the fight!
  14. Factor88

Factor88

While I agree the names your band are looking at aren't the best, I also think that people WAY overthink band names. Honestly, if you are a cover band and you are really good at what you do and, the name "Georgia Boys" shouldn't be what is holding you back..................
  15. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

"Hey guys, are you going to the band concert this weekend?"
    "Which one?"
    "that one with the dudes in it. They sound like that other band with the dudes in it, only heavier, but not as heavy as that one band that played with the other band that only had 3 dudes in it or that one band that had the chic playing bass."
    "Oh, no, I'm busy that weekend. Going to see that other band. This one band is opening for that band and I've been dying to hear them since they sound so much like that one band that I grew up listening to."
    "cool, do they have a website so I can download their music and take a listen."
    "yea, go to www.band14893741384937.com, and check out band14389714657884175 while you're there. They sound like that one band we saw last May that opened for another band."
  16. mndean

mndean

How many different bad band names can be thought of?

There's:

The Too-Clever-By-Half Bandname

The Snarky Dated Joke Bandname

The Meaningless Dadaist Bandname

The "We Were Drunk But We Already Printed Up The Flyers" Bandname

IOW, it's endless!
  17. SteveC

SteveC

I was in a band called "Still Fighting It for many years. Worst name ever. People were like what does that mean, what are you still fighting, etc.

One guy in the band liked Ben Folds Five and that is the title of one of his tunes....LAME. I tried to change it from the time "we" picked it.
  18. Raymeous

Raymeous

Ask the band what they think a name like the "Georgia Boys" implies to potential listeners. Is it a bunch of old guys reliving the past playing bad blues? Is it a wanna be gangsta rap boy band? Is it banjo picking hillbillies sitting on the porch on the bayou? "Georgia Boys" doesn't tell us anything about the band.

A bad name is a bad name, but in truth a bad name can do okay if the product being sold is good. Take "Megadeth" for example. This has to be one of the worst names ever but in the early '80s they hit their stride and became a founding father of the metal scene.

The best example of a bad name gone good has to be "Star Wars". That has to be the all time most generic title for a sci-fi film ever, but the film took over the world and paved the way for Lucas' $4 BILLION (with a B!) empire.

Try offering some better names and sell them on the change.

OOoo idea! Hit the streets with an iPod/smart phone and play your music for people and ask for suggestions. Journey got their name from a radio show request for a new name. Just sayin'
  19. Shanenahs

Shanenahs

Tell me about it. I'm surprised I was able to keep a straight face when they told me the variations!

There are so many levels of disappointment that fall over me when I analyze the name for a few minutes.

I think you're completely right up until you made the name suggestion. Wouldn't I be swagger jacking if I used your suggestion? To be honest, I would take "Swagger Jack" over "The GA. Boyz" any day!

You're right. People overthink band names and I am definitely guilty of it. Once a good band comes along and builds a reputation, no one will care if they are called "Skeet Skeet Skeet". Then again, if there are 5 bands with the same name, booking shows and having a returning fan base may be problematic.

The band is good for a bunch of old guys, with the exception of myself and the singer who are 25. The only reason I've started to become concerned about the name is because we have 80 songs and we're ready to gig.

You know, Raymeous. You're speaking with some down to earth logic. Thanks for the solid advice man. I will definitely approach the situation this way. Plus, getting the public involved to name the band may not help this group, but it'll help me with other projects in the future.

Thanks everybody for the great advice. Hopefully other musicians with the same issue will see this thread and save their sanity from crappy band names.

Thanks again,
    Shane :D

P.S. If any of you are interested, please check out my reverbnation link or my soundcloud track below. Thanks!

http://www.reverbnation.com/shanenahs?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav
  20. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    For three years, I have played in a band called "Dirty Lixx."

Guess who no one listened to at THAT meeting?

Can you guess?
  21. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

How about Boy GA GA? At least it's an improvement.

I don't know what to tell you, your band mates sound hopeless.