1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dean Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shawshank72, Jan 8, 2014.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

I know nothing about Dean basses, and unfortunately my moms neighbors daughter has fell in love with this craigslist bass and declared its what she HAS to have.
    I tried to talk her out of it as there is so much better out there and i personally believe this may not be a "great" bass.
    But im a firm believer in making low budget basses sound good.
    Need some info on it from fellow tbers.
    Made a deal with her that if the overall view of talkbass says to move on that she will.
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/4271564837.html
  2. Nobody

Nobody

Seems like a pretty good deal for $100.
  3. unclebass

unclebass

Can hardly go wrong for the money. Just have her make sure the is comfortable with the neck, uncomfortable and no fun to play = useless dust collector!
  4. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

at $100, if she doesn't end up liking it she should be able to sell or trade it for something else for at least $75. it could either be a decent bass or a decent lesson. just because the logo on the headstock isn't squier, fender or sx that doesn't mean this is a bad choice for a first bass.
    what more are you looking for at $100?
  5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

personally, I think a squire affinity is a lot more bass for 100 dollars. Maybe not as pretty as this dean, but much more functional imo. as stated above, 100 isn't a bad deal, and I would expect to be able to get that much on resell, but is it really a deal if better can be had for the same price?
  6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

The few of these that I have played have a very comfortable jazz-like neck. Never plugged one in though.
  7. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

Suggest she grab it...QUICK!
  8. FourBanger

FourBanger

Guys wait, that bass is/was only like $130 new at the big shops.
  9. tehuti

tehuti

I'm a Dean fan but I am also aware that their low end instruments can be really crappy sometimes. My advice would be to find a new one and try before you buy. However, at $100.00 you're not (hopefully) breaking the bank either, so it might be worth a shot.
  10. Daedraziel

Daedraziel Supporting Member

One of my first basses was a Dean. Overall not a terrible instrument especially for what you are looking to purchase it for. I'd say jump on that one it looks really nice