1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dean Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shawshank72, Jan 8, 2014.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

I know nothing about Dean basses, and unfortunately my moms neighbors daughter has fell in love with this craigslist bass and declared its what she HAS to have.
    I tried to talk her out of it as there is so much better out there and i personally believe this may not be a "great" bass.
    But im a firm believer in making low budget basses sound good.
    Need some info on it from fellow tbers.
    Made a deal with her that if the overall view of talkbass says to move on that she will.
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/4271564837.html

2. Nobody

Nobody

Seems like a pretty good deal for $100.

3. unclebass

unclebass

Can hardly go wrong for the money. Just have her make sure the is comfortable with the neck, uncomfortable and no fun to play = useless dust collector!

4. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

at $100, if she doesn't end up liking it she should be able to sell or trade it for something else for at least $75. it could either be a decent bass or a decent lesson. just because the logo on the headstock isn't squier, fender or sx that doesn't mean this is a bad choice for a first bass.
    what more are you looking for at $100?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

personally, I think a squire affinity is a lot more bass for 100 dollars. Maybe not as pretty as this dean, but much more functional imo. as stated above, 100 isn't a bad deal, and I would expect to be able to get that much on resell, but is it really a deal if better can be had for the same price?

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

The few of these that I have played have a very comfortable jazz-like neck. Never plugged one in though.

8. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

Suggest she grab it...QUICK!

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Guys wait, that bass is/was only like $130 new at the big shops.

10. tehuti

tehuti

I'm a Dean fan but I am also aware that their low end instruments can be really crappy sometimes. My advice would be to find a new one and try before you buy. However, at $100.00 you're not (hopefully) breaking the bank either, so it might be worth a shot.

11. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

One of my first basses was a Dean. Overall not a terrible instrument especially for what you are looking to purchase it for. I'd say jump on that one it looks really nice