1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dean Edge Glued Frets?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by craigbeavers24, Jan 4, 2014.

1. craigbeavers24

craigbeavers24

Dec 4, 2012
    A while ago, I got a Dean Edge 09 bass as a gift. I never use it, and I also want a fretless bass, so I was thinking about getting it made into a fretless. One thing I was wondering, do Dean's typically glue their frets? Thanks for the help!

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    When you heat each fret with a soldering gun/iron, it doesn't make much difference.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you defret the bass, PLEASE do your homework, read up on correct technique (hint: any recommendation involving a screwdriver or pliers should immediately be discarded) and take your time doing the job. Done right it will require 10+ hours of labor for a first-time project. Done wrong, you will have a hack job and chunks of missing fretboard.

There is plenty of info here on TB that can steer you into doing a good job that yields a great looking and professional appearing result.

5. craigbeavers24

craigbeavers24

Dec 4, 2012
    I'm not going to do it myself, but the guy I work with wanted to know ahead of time for pricing if it used glue or not. That's why I was wondering if Dean used glue.