1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dean Edge Hammer 10?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arock0627, Jun 5, 2013.

1. arock0627

arock0627

So, I'm interested in picking up a 10 string octave bass and this Dean Edge Hammer crossed my search engine. However, there is very little info for this discontinued bass. Even less of them available for sale.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It looks like a nicely built bass and fulfills the requirement of not being $2000+.
  2. arock0627

arock0627

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

I've wanted one for a while. Dean started making them circa 2001-2002 and they were made for a few years, until at least 2004. I don't know how many were made. You very rarely see them for sale used.

I had the opportunity to try one and really liked it, but I couldn't buy it at the time because I'd just bought a Hamer 12 that I turned out not to like very much (d'oh!)

It was a very sturdy-feeling bass, made in Korea. The balance was good, not as neck-heavy as one would expect. I suspect the necks have held up well. IIRC the finish was tung oil on mahogany so that may need to be kept up. The electronics were a bit of a disappointment-- the one i tried was quite noisy and the 2-band preamp didn't have much to it, but I doubt it would have been much of a challenge to upgrade those.

I would still buy one today if I could find one.
  4. peterkidd

peterkidd Supporting Member

I had one for a few years.

Was surprisingly well made for a sub-$500 bass.

Everything fit, good looking mahogany body.

Not too heavy, decent 2 band EQ, very big sound.

I found I had to tune it, especially the upper octave strings, All the time.

Neck seemed stable, if I had kept it, probably would have tried replacing the tuners.

Ended up not needed that sound, sold it.
  5. edpal

edpal Tick-tock, she's not just another pretty face! Gold Supporting Member

HAd one, kick myself for selling it. THoughts I would like a 12 better - a 12 is just too freakin heavy. Although, 2 chorus strings has a lot more zing than just one.

Well made. I replaced the tuners on mine to Hipshots and flipped the tuners to the wrong hand. It worked out nice, instead of them leaning up away from the body they leaned down toward it. I'll go look at my old posts, might be a picture.
  6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Always wanted one- never took the plunge- now they are impossible to find!
  7. Gam

Gam

I just picked-up one of these - it's in great shape - one owner who barely played it. Sat in its case most of the time. I just played it for the first time and REALLY like it.

If you're still interested, I would consider selling it - I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind! Let me know, and perhaps we can work-out a price.

:bassist: