Dean John Entwistle Hybrid Bass - Trans Brazil

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lfmn16, Jan 12, 2014.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I did a search (both TB and the interweb) but didn't find out much about these. Anyone have a Dean John Entwistle Hybrid Bass - Trans Brazil? I'd be interested in any information you would care to share. I'm looking for people that actually own or owned one. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Beverlyvista

Beverlyvista

I've got one. Out being set up and having its Guitar Center wall condition fixed. Ask a question and I'll try to answer it.

3. MXP553

MXP553

Is it head stock heavy like a Tbird? Is it solid with just a 3 bolt neck joint? Tone?

4. Beverlyvista

Beverlyvista

It's a little neck heavy, but it's quite manageable. Not a total dive bomber. The three screw neck attachment seems perfectly stable. The tone, through my little SWR is not John's, even with Rotosound Swing Bass strings -- But that just may be my laziness and inexperience with the EMG passive pickup/active EQ setup. It does sound good in any event, and with tweaks can probably approximate Ox tone. Look out for rough fret ends, not affecting play, but, you know, built to a price. Guitar Center moved a bunch of seconds through as used pieces in the last few months. They're stamped CF between the 21st and 22nd fret. They're usually priced 429 for black and 439 for trans amber. But if you pay attention to local sales or you have a pet salesman they can be nailed down for 239/249. At that price, how can you not give in?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Beverlyvista

Beverlyvista

Also, be aware the current model has been changed, apparently, neck wise for 2014. There's a divot at the base of the neck for truss rod access that's not in the first release. Don't know if that indicates any other kinds of changes. At least it means this light selling model still survives

7. gumbystuff

gumbystuff Supporting Member

Those 3 screws are only to attach the cover plate over a recessed 4 screw neck joint.

It has a nice tone, but also quite a bit of neck dive.

Attached Files:

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry it took so long to answer. I actually bought one of these basses and was wondering what other people thought of them. I put a new set of strings on it and set it up but the tone is very woody and dark. Not a log of high end. How do you find the tone on yours?

9. Beverlyvista

Beverlyvista

Gumbystuff; stupid of me not to have examined that neck attachment thingie closer. I still think the neck dive issue is minimal compared to a lot of basses. And , yeah, if might not be as bright as some, and certainly many of John's tones were trebly as hell, but I've found between the EQ, my SWR and an elderly zoom fX box I can get close, certainly to his late tones. The early longhorn basses through Marshall guitar amps? That's beyond me.

10. awilkie84

awilkie84

Neck dive? It's a T-bird style. :p Of course it's going to have neck dive, unless you move the strap pin closer to the 12th.

11. Beverlyvista

Beverlyvista

If you're looking for an Entwistle hybrid, check your local (or online) Guitar Center. What were once static at $429 (nominally used, but just dumped by Dean) are moving fairly comprehensively down to 299-249. Try to find the trans Brazil instead of the black, but still, it's not the worst thing you can buy at the price.