1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dean Markley Blue Steels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aussie Player, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Got these on a Warwick Streamer thats coming this week. Anyone else using them?
    What is your opinion of them?
    Thanks.
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I like them very much. In my opinion they are second only to Rotos.

Tonewise, with the Streamer, you can think Mike Inez of AIC.
  3. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I just put a set on one of my Jazz basses and I really like them. It's the first time I've tried them, too. So far, so good.
  4. Catbuster

Catbuster

They are no doubt the brightest string I've EVER played. They're also very mid-scooped
  5. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Really like them. IMO, much better round wound tone than the vaunted Rotosounds. Even after they lose their initial "Zing" (which lasts a good long time), I still love the tone.
  6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Ive used them off and on for change of pace from rotosound swing66. They do have a more crack of thunder qaulity to the bass end of the tone. But dont have the agressive mids of the rotos. Still, they are a very good string imo.
  7. fenderbassman40

fenderbassman40

I'm digging em on my squier vintage
    Modified phase. Way bright and punchy but not squeaky when fretting.
  8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

They definitely retain their brightness longer than Rotos. I agree that they have a bolder low end than Rotos and a somewhat tamer mid range.
  9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Lemmy played them for years. 'Nuff said.
  10. winterburn69

winterburn69

For what my opinion is worth, they're the only strings I'd buy again after first trying Roto 66's 5 years ago. I got a set last spring, and they still have a tiny bit of bite left. They last ages longer than Rotos, but don't have as much of an aggressive sound.

Wait. That's a lie. I've also bought Rotobass 45s a few times.
  11. kingmacaw

kingmacaw

prefer the blue steel ss to rotos for these reasons - great snap & far less tension to play. i will caution you tho i've put new ones on the same fretted bass 3x & each time it takes me several days of playing them before they aren't too zingy. because of this i have been thinking my next set may be blue steel nickels. (by the way i love the sound of rotos but simply hate a high tension string.)
  12. Mykk

Mykk

Blue Steel user here. I have them on my MIA Jazz, Vintage Modified Fiver & Epi Les Paul bass. Clean and crisp when played lightly, grind and edge when you dig in.
  13. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

I've played them for years. I love them. Good life and I love the feel. I've been digging Sunbeams and EB Cobalts lately as well.
  14. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I just wanted to add, I believe it's the DM Blue Steels that give my '08 MIA Jazz that infamous Jazz bass "growl" without hardly trying.
  15. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

I've used them on my Epiphone Jack Casady bass for 12 years as Jack, himself, does.
  16. matante

matante

I tried them once and didn't like them. I remember paying a premium because they supposedly lasted much longer than normal strings. This was before they invented coated strings, and they marketed Blue Steels by saying the cryogenic process would make them last 3x longer, but I didn't find that to be true. .(Just about any string will last a lot longer than Rotos.)

I thought the sound was too twangy as well. Overall I wasn't impressed.
  17. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

Purchased them twice 20 years apart and they sounded like rhino arse and died within days both times. I could not recommend them from my limited but consistently negative experiences.
  18. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses Supporting Member

Used 'em years ago in another in another life and loved 'em. Thanks to the miserable sweaty hand syndrome I can kill strings like nobodies business and in spite of that they lasted pretty well for me. On they downside, they did eat the frets up a bit. Of course, my horrific technique and gripping the neck way too tight couldn't have had anything to do with that....

Now I'm trying out GHS Contact Cores and liking them pretty well so far. What can I say, I like bright and zingy.