1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dean Markley Blue Steels???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AWillis93, Feb 6, 2013.

1. AWillis93

AWillis93

I was reading through last months issue of Bass Player Magazine and was wondering if anyone plays Dean Markley Blue Steels I've never been a big fan of dean markley stuff but was wondering if anyone has some different opinions on them some pros and cons?? Thanks

2. Batmensch

Batmensch

I like them. In general, I love the tone I get, especially on my MIA Jazz, they give me that well-known Jazz bass "growl". Even after they age a bit and lose their zing, I love their tone. I also find them comfortable to play, moreso than other roundwounds I've played, and generally are relatively inexpensive. Much prefer them over the vaunted Rotosounds and the like.

3. carl h.

carl h.

I didn't care for the feel, but my buddy loves them. Sound is pretty good.

Might ask a mod to move this to the strings section, unless there is something we don't know about them.

4. AWillis93

AWillis93

I thought i put this in strings but apparently i got into effects and didn't realize it thanks for pointing that out. And thanks for the input may look into getting some next time i change my strings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

If you play with a pick, they are somewhat of a standard.

7. bass nitro

bass nitro

I use them regularly and think is the one of the best out there.Good sound,last longer - soft for my fingers.You will not fill regrets buy them.I do not think that they are suitable only for metal - despite the fact that most endorsers are metal bassist.:bassist::bassist::bassist:

8. Batmensch

Batmensch

That's the other thing. The initial roundwound "zing" lasts a little bit longer than most. And like I said, even after you lose that initial zing, it still sounds nice.

9. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Why is this in the Effects forum? It should be in Strings.

10. eriky4003

eriky4003

Am playing them now and love the brightness of tone. I find they keep their zing for a reasonably long time (3-6 months). That said, I'm going to try different strings this year for variety starting with DR Fat Beams. The Blue Steels will be a fallback position if I try a set I don't like and need to 'bring it' for a gig.

11. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

I've used the DM BS Medium Lights on my Casady bass most of the time since 1998. Good strings, reasonably priced, last reasonably long, sound and feel right.

12. AWillis93

AWillis93

I don't play with a pick nor do i play metal. More on playing southern blues. And was looking for something new to try

13. Batmensch

Batmensch

I personally think they would work for that especially after they've been broken in. Just roll back the treble as needed. The lows and mids on these strings are well balanced, and one of the reasons I like the broken in tone. IMO, it makes these DM's very versatile strings.

14. jaywa

jaywa

Played them for awhile quite a few years back. Very bright, decent life, pretty rough on the fingers till they wear down a bit. Good value for the money.

I eventually found Ernie Ball Slinkies to be more my thing, before going to the half-rounds I play now.

I'd say give em a try... it's not like you're throwing a bunch of money away if you don't like em.

15. AWillis93

AWillis93

Yea my thoughts exactly im playing Dr black beautys right now and like the way the feel and sound but im always looking for something new

16. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

They have been my primary string for the last few years. I go back in forth between BSteels, Sunbeams and Cobalts. Ive never had an issue and get good life out of them.

17. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I've been playing the Blue Steel ML set on all my basses for as long as I can remember. (.045 - .128, Model 2679) for as long as I can remember. Excellent balanced tone, and versatile. I play everything from country to jazz to rock depending on the gig, and every time I've ever tried a different brand I wind up coming back to the Markley's.

18. AWillis93

AWillis93

Well i may give them a try when these i have on now go dead. If i dont like them then i can always put the old ones back on

19. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

I bought some around half a year ago (honestly, I thought their gimmick was pretty interesting) and haven't taken them out of the box. I am very lazy about string changing.

20. KhzDonut

KhzDonut

Disclosures:
    Solder Jockey at VFE Pedals
    I really like Blue Steels. They have a really smooth feel to them, and they last forever.

The only reason I ever changed was because the largest size they make is .128, which isn't big enough for Low G. Definitely one of the better B strings out there if you tune to standard on a 5 string, and they'll fit on a 35" scale if I remember correctly.

21. Epidrake

Epidrake

Hardened Stainless strings and nickel frets don't work for me. I guess I play too heavy. Frets wear down too fast.