1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dean Stylist Cabbie Bass -- It's back!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobster, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Bobster

Bobster

I remember these from the last time around and I always wanted to play one, but never got the chance.

Well, that can change now, because the Stylist Cabbie is back: http://www.deanguitars.com/stylist_cabbie_bass.php

It's a 32" scale semi-hollow bass with two humbuckers, set neck and rosewood fingerboard.

There is also one in the NAMM photos thread that Dan Knowlton posted. It's about 2/3 of the way down this page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26698043@N04/

What does everyone think about this as choice for a semi-hollow body?

Bob
  2. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

I don't know much about the bass, but I really like the 32" scale. I had a Gibson explorer some years ago that was 32" scale and loved it. Wish I'd kept that one.
  3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Were the older ones also 32" scale?

I'd like to have a hollow but not interested in the typical cookie cutter 30" scale, 330-style bass. 32" might be a nice compromise. Tried a Waterstone TP hollow, but thought it sounded lame.

What is the Cabbie street price?
  4. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Yes. I really wanted one, but they didn't make lefties.
  5. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Popped a couple TV Jones in mine.
    [​IMG]
  6. Templar

Damn (gulp).

Why did you have to do that?
  7. Templar

Whatever you do, don't tell me how great it sounds with the TV Jones' in there!

Okay, tell me.
  8. donn

donn

No tone knob?

A face-off with the Gretsch G5123B would be interesting - same concept, same TV Jones pickups? The Dean body is deeper, wouldn't think it would make a big difference but who knows.
  9. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Sounds much better than the original pickups. Deeper, tighter lower end with clear highs and no harshness. I use TI flats and have been able to set it up with low action. It can howl like crazy at certain volume levels but makes for a great bass for medium to quiet gigs.
    [​IMG]