Dear bashers of UPS...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Hoboken, NJ:

:eek:

Now THAT'S dedication :bag:
  2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    I bet the package was damaged, three months late and addressed to some place in Nevada.
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That looks like something my driver would do.
    He has pulled in here in the middle of a blizzard when no one was on the road.
    One time he ran from his truck to my door hunched over my package in a hail storm being pelted with 1" hail stones.
    Both of toughs times my USPS driver never showed.

Some of their drivers are very dedicated.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    My experience with UPS has been that my regular drivers are cool. The local staff at the depot are cool. I don't usually bash UPS... and today is the third time in a row they completely screwed up a simple delivery.

I got an email notice of a package that was going to be delivered today. I'm signed up with My UPS which for the first few months worked great. Instead of waiting for a failed delivery you can request they hold the package and you can pick it up on the delivery date. Again, worked great for the first few months then they went brain dead.

This was the third time in a row they screwed this up. I put the hold in online yesterday (10/31) and it said I'd have to wait until the day after (11/2) the delivery date to pick it up so I didn't do it. I came home and tried it again, this time it had the correct date (11/1) so I confirmed it. Simple. I called UPS CS to let them know what had happened, they had no idea why as usual and apologized. They also told me that holding a package doesn't work like it does.
    :meh:

On my way out to pick it up this morning, on a whim I decided to check the tracking and it said the package was out for delivery.
    :eyebrow:

I call CS, they said there was no record of my hold request. They started talking about same day holds as they had for the last three failures, I reminded them that I put the hold requests in the previous day... of course that didn't register with the rep. I talked to a supervisor who called the depot adn then told me if I wanted to I could get them to put a hold on it and I'd have to do it before 7 tonight. I told him I'd wait for the delivery since I've been home this long anyway. I asked him if he had put a hold on it, he said he hadn't. I asked him to confirm that it wouldn't be held, he said he would and would call me back. Apparently anything to get me off the phone.

Three hours later, I check the racking again and a hold had been put on the package. Maybe I've should've told them what I DIDN'T want them to do.

I call CS and tell them what's going on, they say it's being held, I tell them I didn't put a hold on it. That confuses them as usual. Eventually I get a local person to call me back and he says the delivery will be made tonight, there are 40 stops ahead of mine. So we'll see.

Apparently they don't keep any logs of any of this stuff, which probably works out best for them because then they'd have less of a record of how much they continually screw the pooch. It would've been faster and easier for me to drive to where the package was shipped than deal with this nonsense again. I'd bet that for ever guy they have willing to drive through flood water to make a delivery, they have scores internally who are sitting on their hands watching the parade go by. That's been my experience.

I spoke with CS and technical support multiple times, neither knew how MY UPS was supposed to work and neither seemed concerned about that fact. Wow.

I seriously doubt UPS even gives a damn, this is likely acceptable business practices for them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius Supporting Member

Ha ha! So true.
  7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

I've sent and received a lot of stuff over a lot of years. My problem/late rate with UPS is WAY lower than FedEx or USPS.

I think my favorite FedEx moment was watching the driver use his foot to roll a box (remember, boxes have square corners and typically don't roll very well) out of his truck on to the sidewalk in front of my office. The box was clearly marked "friagile" on all sides and contained a Fender Twin amp. Thankfully, the shipper had packed it well enough to absorb the abuse.
  8. electracoyote

electracoyote

+1

One time I watched a new UPS driver get out of the truck and one-hand a large package up onto his shoulder, all the while talking on a cell phone with the other hand.

He got out into the middle of the street on his way to my door and the package tumbled off his shoulder to the pavement below, in the middle of the street.

He got to the door and I told him that was not cool.

I followed that up with a call to UPS customer service.

Haven't seen that UPS driver since. If he's still an employee, he's probably sorting and delivering the garbage right about now.

Otherwise, nothing but great service from UPS for me.
  9. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

I LOLed. Hard.
  10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Same here.

Friday I made two online purchases, gifts for my gf's birthday. One via Amazon I clicked two-day shipping. The other, through a site called Shakespearesden.com I clicked UPS 3-day.

My item from Amazon was shipped Monday via FedEx Smartpost and was scheduled to be delivered yesterday. I get home and... no package. I check tracking it says delivered at 3:48pm. Today I call FedEx, they say smartpost transfers to USPS so I call them as well, claims made. My package arrives today. Its a good thing I had FREE two day shippping, or Id be calling for a refund.

My other item... well it hasnt shipped, and will now not be here in time for her birthday. I called yesterday - no answer, so I sent and email - no response. I call again today - no answer, so I leave a message. They claim it can take 2-3 days to ship, well its been 6 now, hasnt shipped. If I get ahold of someone I plan on negotiating a refund for shipping, and next day air, otherwise I might as well cancel my order and buy her something else. That ones not on UPS, but the seller.
  11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Sure we see the truck driving through the water, but what we don't see is that the package being delivered is probably something that needs to be moved on a dolley.
  12. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Last week I was home and heard the dogs barking (in the backyard fence). The UPS man knows he can leave my packages in the sunroom which is always unlocked and the door is often open. I looked out the window just in time to see him throw the package from the driveway into the room and walk back to the truck.
  13. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Our UPS delivery guy is a long time family friend. We haven't had any huge problems except that the tracking sometimes doesn't track until the day before delivery.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't have much of a problem with someone who is willing to carry packages to my house, saving me from having to go to the store and get it myself.

-Mike
  15. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69 Banned

During hurricane issac my street was flooded. Ups drove down through the water and delivered. Fed ex would not. I found the guy in a parking lot. And got my package.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    I have a problem when they won't let me pick it up when I tell them that's what I want to do.
    :)
  17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    UPS does a way better job round my parts than Fedex. When UPS says, "You'll have your package today," I know I will. Even if it comes at 7:30PM. Fedex is a crapshoot. Sometimes I get it when they say I will, sometimes I don't.

Something I just learned about UPS however. Found out in my vet's waiting room, chatting with a dude waiting to have his dog overhauled. He was a retired UPS guy. He told me stuff that I actually didn't believe, so I asked my UPS guy once when I was in the elevator with him. The guys in charge at UPS keep tabs on every move their drivers make, so much so that their doors are hooked up to electronic counters. They calculate how many times the doors open and close, and figure how many times they should given the amount of deliveries they have. This means they can't goof off, nor goof up. They do other stuff too that I don't remember becuase I was so in disbelief of that. Anyhow, when I asked my UPS guy, at first he seemed to not want to answer - then he said, "Yeah, they do that." They also have us hooked up so they can monitor and record everything we say if they want to. And he wasn't being sarcastic or kidding. I don't think this is something they want people to know. Talk to your UPS guy. See what he tells ya.
  18. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

I've never had any problem with any shipping company, ymmv.
  19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    My own experiences with the UK side of the UPS operation have been terrible, time and time again. I wouldn't trust any of them to reliably deliver a fart after a "Who can eat the most beans?" competition.
  20. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

The only delivery service I have a problem with is USPS, because I live at the back of the building, if the package won't fit in the mailbox, they won't deliver to my door, I have to go pick it up. Everybody else, UPS, Fedex, whoever, as long as they know I'm in the back, have no problem coming to my door. UPS especially, I'ver gotten to know my regular guy, he's a good dude.
  21. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Most of my experience is with DHL, and they really are the epithomy of "Get it right". Most of the time I have them delivering to where I currently work, which means there's always someone there during office hours. In the rare cases that I have packages delivered to my home address there's usually no one there, so the package gets re-routed to a conveniently located pick-up location. Usually my nearest grocery store, which works great.

My brother who lives two houses down from me has had a few UPS deliveries, with very disappointing results. The items have been COD, and UPS here hasn't had the ability to be paid in any other way than cash. Which in Sweden is nigh on retarded, in a temporal sense. I only ever use cash for the coffee on parent meetings at school. This is 2012, after all.