Dear bass players

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by litzabogdan, Oct 28, 2013.

1. litzabogdan

litzabogdan

I have recently found a bass for sale and I am really into buying it. Is there somebody who can say what kind of bass is it ?like german, bohemian, etc...? Would be great to hear from you!

[​IMG]

http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/NjgzWDEwMjQ=/z/HkQAAOxyONBSY8-S/$T2eC16d,!zEFIe7B14U3BSY8-SPIDg~~60_85.JPG
  2. litzabogdan

litzabogdan

3. litzabogdan

litzabogdan

4. litzabogdan

litzabogdan

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. samriley

samriley

Looks like a German flat back, gamba corners with an unusual looking button though. A close up of this would be good. But then again there are many makers who copied various styles. (My big old German bass is actually a Czech bass). Are there any labels/stamps on the inside of the instrument? You might need to be a detective here. Or are there any numbers stamped into the bottom on the outside near the peg? It looks quite narrow but that could just be the photo. I'd imagine it would sound pretty punchy, especially strung with Garbos. How thin is the top?
    And the big one, what price do they want?
  7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

That's a button patch. And the lack of outside linings has me thinking Czech but I don't really know. Is it fully carved?
  8. samriley

samriley

What purpose dose the button patch serve?
    Yes I suppose it could be Czech. I wonder if it has a city/name printed inside.
  9. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

To reinforce the button if it cracks badly or is otherwise damaged. It's kind of a quick fix.

Of the bass was imported into the US it should have a label detailing country of origin. If its in Europe maybe not.
  10. litzabogdan

litzabogdan

The price of the bass is 3500 euros. There is no label or stamps inside the bass so that looks kind of unknown. It was used for baroque orchestras so I think it was also played on gut strings. For sure, the bass needs a new set up , like a new sound post, new bridge because this one is way to high and I find it really hard to play in high positions. What do you think about the price?
  11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

The price sounds fair for what it seems to be, but I wouldn't commit to buying without having an experienced professional bass luthier look over the bass. I have several similar basses -- European, fairly old, fully carved and in decent health -- and I would ask around the same price if I were selling what I have.

High action with gut or Velvet strings is a wonderful sound that I enjoy very much. If that's not what you are looking for, use the cost of having it set up to suit your needs as a negotiating tactic to get a better price. It sounds like you will end up spending that money anyway, so why pay more than you need to? There are thousands of old carved European basses in the world. If this one isn't speaking to you, why buy it?
  12. litzabogdan

litzabogdan

Actually I have negotiated the price to 2600 euros. I think this is the best and I can go for a good set up right away. I have recently bought a new set of strings - Velvet compas 180 solo strings and I am very curious how to bass will react on them.
    Another question is: Considering that is such an old bass , how do you have to take care of it ? I am leaving in The Netherlands and here the weather is very tricky all the time. There is humidity 100% most of the time...I am afraid not to get cracks easily. When I bring the school bass to my home and I start playing, the bass start to sweat and strings are getting damaged very fast , I mean they are getting yellow color , kind of rusty. Even the sound is different, better said -the bass is getting sick after I travel with it from Conservatoire to home. What do you suggest in that case?
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

The only thing I can say for certain is that it looks great and has Velvet strings - but 2600 Euros is a very low price for Europe - it would be a huge bargain for me to find a bass like that at that price ! :)

I would be very keen, but as others have said, if there are problems (that we can't see) then it could be a liability that would see you pouring money in..?
  14. korotkov

korotkov

Hey this bass is absolutely great!

That's a great deal also, even here in russia where instruments cost like 1/3 of European market value it's hard to find an instrument like that at that price