1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Death By China

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PrietoBass, Oct 31, 2013.

1. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It isn't on Netflix in the UK, checked the trailer though.

Will post back if I see it at some point.
  3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Oh real nice. I had a whole nice message written up and looking around at the Death By China website, my whole response was invalidated.

It's a pyramid scheme! I've been slimed...

[​IMG]

Peter Navarro can bite me.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought this was going to be about someone's wife throwing plates at him.
  5. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I thought it was about standing too close to your drummers china boy.
  6. PrietoBass

LOL!
  7. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I only watched the trailer. In part I was interested in it, in part I was disgusted by the propaganda imagery they've so cheaply used. There's reds under your bed, bro.
  8. Lady Kayri

Lady Kayri

Heh. I figured it would be about all the pets killed because they ate pet treats made from poisoned materials from China...
  9. PrietoBass

Well... you are somewhat close... One of the points they talk about is toys made with hazardous materials that big toy companies have been forced to recall.

I think the whole video deserves at least one full view based on content (and not necessarily presentation). Of course the people creating the video have an agenda, but the questions remain: Are there facts presented, are they accurate, and if so, do they build a strong case for the video's message?
  10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

From my own personal experience, we had a job in our machine shop that was running for I don't remember, say $22.00 per piece. It was a fair price to cover our manufacturing costs. Our customer one day told us they had a quote from China for the same part at $5.00 each. He was willing to have us continue to run it if we could get substantially close, but there was no way as the best price we were able to get on the raw material was about $6.00 per piece. My memory on the numbers may be slightly off, but the fact is the Chinese supplier was offering complete parts for less than our cost of materials. Subsidizing is the only way we could think of that they would be able to do that. Fortunately that customer wasn't a primary for us or else the Chinese supplier may well have been able to close our shop.

Also that customer does business under a different name when working with the Chinese. He told us he did that so the Chinese wouldn't see what he's doing with his products since it was likely that the factory would produce massively large quantities of his products and market them to his customers at a much lower price. That seems to be a typical business practice for the Chinese.

To me, the movie seemed quite accurate in most respects and if you were to tell me that China is the devil I wouldn't argue with you. Of course we don't discuss government on Talkbass so I'll stop right there.
  11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Might not be subsidised (though quite possibly is). The mining and refinement of raw materials and the transport is probably significantly cheaper too (not to mention general disregard for the environment and costs that can incur). Then you factor in the differences in local living costs (and general disregard for workers) onto of that.

The disregard of copyrights and patents is also pretty atrocious. Having Chinese "scientists" ripping off other people's work is quite a common in my field of work. They'll copy work word for word and pass it off as their own.

Though if anyone is a Photoshop expert, they could probably make some money teaching it to the Chinese government :D

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/30/chinese-officials-new-photoshop-fail
  12. PrietoBass

I know this is (can be) controversial, but Talkbass is my preferred online social community, so I am sharing "in good faith" and I hope it's received that way. I know that Talkbass is an international community, so as an American I don't pretend to assume that America's problems are necessarily everyone's problem but I do feel and believe that America's fate will certainly affect the lives of millions the world over regardless of their nationality.

Although I wish this thread remains civil I know things can go downhill very quickly; I myself am guilty of killing a few threads.. :D But I sincerely hope that people will at least watch the video and give it some thought....

This topic has really touched me and I just wanted to share. Along the same lines here's another one I just watched that I found very interesting:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/We_re_Not_Broke/70229268?trkid=2361637

Ok, mods, if this is off-limits please feel free to remove, and I do apologize in advance if I am pushing a limit too far...