1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Death From Above 1979

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FaithNoMan, Mar 19, 2006.

1. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I was wondering if any of my fellow TalkBassers could help me with this one:

The group is called Death From Above 1979, the song is "Romantic Rights(new version)" from the album "You're a Woman, I'm a Machine"

I want to find out what kind of pedal their bass player is using to get that fuzz tone...maybe even some sort of octave fuzz, but I'm not sure...?

It sounds nice and smooth, kinda like an English Muff'n does, as opposed to the Boss ODB3....yuck.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. jenderfazz

jenderfazz

3. Vosk

Vosk

He runs like a solid state 1000 watt amp into a 400w cab - overdriving it. This is his distortion, no pedals at all.

4. Terrorstorm

Terrorstorm

so the cab distorts / is overpowered??? Isn't this damaging the cab very easily!?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Yeah but everything in his rig is so easily replaced (like the cheap 10's) that he doesn't really need to worry about it.

Ahhh, the luxury of having roadies. hoenstly- Jesse's not a hulking guy so I doubt he could run the same rig on his own (super heavy old traynor 8x10 loaded with even heavier PA 10s, big conventional SS amps)

7. philipc

philipc

when i saw them live he was dual amping with the amps/heads set about 2 metres apart and slightly facing towards each other. not sure if this is relevant but thought id through it in anyway. oh and it was very very very very very very loud :p that helps.

8. bannedwit

bannedwit

I thought he has a synth pedal or something too?

THESE GUYS ARE AMAZING... I LOVE THEIR STUFF.

9. Gung

Gung

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

There was an article in Bass Player that I've referenced quite a few times in past threads about this for his gear. It's all in there.

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/death-from-above/jul-05/10648

And if anyone's still wondering about this after two years since this particular thread was started... I'd be quite surprised. :D

11. ryandude713

ryandude713

He hits a lower "G" note, then mutes the string and pick scrapes up the neck.

12. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Dude, I just played Death From Above on da radio.

Before that was CSS with "Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above."

Am I the man or what?

13. KarateKid25

KarateKid25

14. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jesse ran a Peavey F800-B and an Acoustic 450B into a pair of modified Traynor YBC-810s. Half the speakers in each YBC-810 were replaced with PA speakers, probably Yorkville brand.

Now, for the record, that Peavey head puts out around 400w at 2ohms, and the Acoustic head puts out something like 170w at 2ohms. Given that the cabs were probably 4ohm loads, the amps were putting out much less than that. Additionally, both amps have built-in fuzz circuits. This is where the DFA sound came from - he cranked the utter hell out of a pair of old, crusty solidstate amps and turned the onboard fuzz circuits to 11.

And I don't think I've ever heard of him blowing a speaker. So there goes the 'underpowering' myth.

15. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Do not open a can of worms.

Instead, tell me if tubes are louder than solid state amps.

16. roflol

roflol

i swear transistor distortion doesn't sound that nice it just sounds like someone farting down a mic

17. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Seems like on most of there songs I can hear a really subtle chorus under the distortion like on the first and second parts in this song. Anyone else hearing that?

18. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

Well, you may want to wear a Kevlar vest before telling that to all of us who use non-tube OD/distortion/fuzz pedals (which are the vast majority of all pedals out there), and SS amps, and/or modeling gear... :p

You didn't read his gear list from the BP interview, did you? :p

His Ibanez SC10 Stereo chorus is ALWAYS on. He runs the stereo outputs to both of his amps. He also uses that Crybaby from time to time.

19. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Ahhh, no, I didn't read it. I knew he used chorus just never knew it was always on.

20. kosmicwizard

kosmicwizard

From one lefty to another, thank you for this article! I do find it a little funny that you would think people wouldn't care how he made his sound 2 years after the OP asked ... Here I am 3 years after you answered and I still searched because I wanted to know. I saw DFA79 at their last show (opening for QotSA and NIN) in Calgary, and I was honestly blown away! I understand people change over the years, but I hope JFK finds another way to continue to bring his unique tone to the masses! DFA79, sadly missed. Cheers.

21. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

Agreed. I love DFA1979 - I have both their EP and their only album. Never saw them live... on the West Coast leg of that same tour, Autolux opened for QoTSA and NIN instead (also an awesome band).

I was actually referring to the people who originally posted in that thread... after all, it stayed dormant for two years with no follow-up. ;)

I am surprised, however, that this particular Bass Player article had all the answers. I'm used to gear list errors in their articles. :D