Death

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Barkless Dog, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

I just watched the documentary on the Detroit punk band called Death from the early 70s, claimed to be the first punk band.

I was surprised, they were great, very tight and great musicians. Unfortunately the visionary of the band David Hackney, refused to compromise in changing their name to make then marketable, even refusing a big recording deal with Clive Davis.

They ended up fading into obscurity, only recently rediscovered by a new audience.
  2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

A cool song.
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I saw a documentary on them a while back. Funny the name Death wouldn't raise a eyebrow today.
  4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

I think they're an amazing re-discovery. The surviving members just played here last month. Good for them finally getting some recognition. Too bad David Hackney isn't around to enjoy it. Besides the heavy music, I think it was his refusal to compromise his vision for the band (like the name) that made them one of the first punk bands.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    i LOVE this band. if you're not familiar with them, my suggestion is to get the album. love it, live it, fully digest it.

then, and only then, watch the documentary.

it's a good documentary, but it adds a whole dimension to the music that would have turned me off from it had i known about it when i first heard the album...