1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Deathstroke Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drivenmore, Jul 30, 2013.

1. drivenmore

drivenmore

So I was stopping in at a local pawn shop and came across a wonderful-playing 5 string Dean Sledgehammer for $230. Figured "what the hell?" And picked her up. On the way home, I started thinking "what I can I do to really make this a fun bass?" That's when I decided to give her a new paint job. I've recently become a comic book nut again after many years, so thought I'd try something to bring my two hobbies together :) ImageUploadedByTalkBass1375230672.076782.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1375230682.889154.jpg
  2. drivenmore

drivenmore

3. MMatFoCBass

MMatFoCBass

Dat Paint job!

Congratulations!
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Nice touch with the truss rod cover. What's next? A Robin-themed short scale? :D
  5. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Nice! Excellent choice of character to base it off of too- deathstroke the terminator is a boss!
  6. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Don't tell the Teen Titans.
  7. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

My project is getting ready for some a**-kicking.

Bring it on, Deathstroke.

- Nightwing

[​IMG]
  8. pklima

pklima

Nice. I know nothing about Deathstroke (though it sounds like the nickname of a really terrible golf player), but that does look like a really fun bass.

How'd you do the colors on the fingerboard? And the huge sparkles in the middle of the body?
  9. Lublin

Lublin Supporting Member

I wholeheartedly approve.

Outstanding.
  10. drivenmore

drivenmore

Thanks for the compliments :). I essentially used a blue and an orange spray paint over the whole bass, then covered it all with multiple layers of polyurethane, including the neck.

The shiny middle part is actually a sequined fabric that I bought for use in my Deathstroke costume for Comic Con.

Geek alert. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1375269235.721838.jpg
  11. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

This thread has finally given me the push I needed to get started on my Nightwing bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Not super sure what I'm looking at here, but I am confident it is mega cool.
  13. darkstorm

darkstorm

You painted the fretbaord to I see. How well is that goiung to hold up before worn thru several places? Any effect on sound? The time I tried a epoxied rosewood board bass I felt it had robbed the bass of woodier tone rosewood is known for.
  14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

well its no deadpool, but its still pretty rad!
  15. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

Well, I'm making the decals sometime next week (heading to Quebec for a little vacation). I just made up some paper outlines to get the idea of what it would look like, and to figure out where to place the decals.

The scotch tape isn't staying. ;)
  16. drivenmore

drivenmore

Go Nightwing bass! :)

As for the neck, I continue to poly it and will do so continually, so I don't expect too many problems (considering this also won't be my workhorse bass). As the neck and fingerboard are maple, I'm not hearing any real negative sound changes when I play.