1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Deceased love affairs...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zachoff, Jan 29, 2013.

1. zachoff

zachoff

What gear did you GAS over for years and years, finally buy or play, and sadly realize it wasn't your thing?

Mine is Gibson basses, in general, but I bought an RD Artist a couple years ago and was so excited. I've loved the idea of these basses for years. Sold it after 8 months or so. Not sure what it is, but those basses just don't fit right in my hands or sound right to my ears. I've also played a handful of Grabbers, Les Pauls, and the LP Recording bass with the same reaction. :(

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Rick 4003. Loved the sound, dug the look, respected the artists who'd made it famous, really wasn't into the way it felt in my hands.

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

4003 ,,,

Gassed for years and it just didn't do it for me ,,,tried many others ,,,I keep coming back to fender jazz designs ,,,and I like a 7.25 radius as well

4. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Ric 4003 and EBMM Stingray..I've tried them both twice and just can't get 'comfortable' with either.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Eden Metro combo. Wanted one for the longest time. Finally got one and literally played it out two gigs. Couldn't stand the tone. "Sterile" would be putting it politely. Traded it not even a week after I got it.

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Another vote for 4003. I've had one since the early 90's. Never really fell in love with it. But never could bring myself to sell it, either.

8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Fender basses back when I was a teen.

Ampeg SVT when I finally could afford one.

The USA Fender was a real let-down, for the huge price hike compared with the basses I had previously played, and very little or no improvement :(.

The Ampeg was quite similar experience, it was louder than my EL34 equipped 100 watters, sure, but that's it.
    In all fairness it was a CL, and I didn't have a fridge, but still I expected something out of the ordinary.
    The new owner was happy though, as was I, made a considerable profit with that transaction.

Regards
    Sam

9. zachoff

zachoff

FWIW, I've plugged my SVT into many cabs and found it's not really awesome without the fridge. Good? Sure... Just not awesome. Gotta be a sealed cab thing... Or something.

10. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

11. Cosmeticplagues

Cosmeticplagues

I loved my Epi T-Bird until the string tension (medium GHS Boomers in drop c!?!?) tore the bridge out of the body. Twice. Then again after installing a Hipshot supertone. And when the supertone came up, it brought the bushings and some chunks of wood with it. I parted it out, and threw the rest in a bonfire. I still have the charred remains of the truss rod and a few of the frets lurking around here somewhere...

12. nate56

nate56 Supporting Member

Im gonna second on the rd artist. I recently got mine a month ago and it seems like i can never get the thing to sound right with my svt-3 :/

13. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

The Status Jonas Hellborg Signature bass - the one he played in the late 90s. I didn't have complaints as to the sound, but it was so tiny and the knobs cramped the G string so badly i just couldn't get confortable. (4-9V batteries were kind of a bummer too) In all fairness it was built for Jonas, not me.

Sold it off three weeks later.

14. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Yet another Rickenbacker 4003 guy here... I shelled out an OBSCENE amount of money on one a few years back. I loved the sound, I loved the look but I absolutely hated the ergonomics of the thing. I really wanted to like it. I really, really did.

If only I could stick the guts of a Rickenbacker into a Jazz bass, I'd be in heaven.

15. RS66LB

RS66LB

For our first Christmas together (85') my wife bought me a brand new $125 Squire P-bass (a huge improvement over my old Peavey T-40), many years later she buys me this stunning black 'authentic' American made Fender P-bass. After about a year of fine tuning both the body and electronics I randomly picked up and plugged my old Squire in (for old times sake) -the shock at how much better it sounded caught me completely off guard -these days I laugh at the fact that my back up bass costs about 7 times as much as my main instrument

16. RS66LB

RS66LB

17. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars Supporting Member

I bought, built, and played anything with a multi piece, neck through body design.
    Now I don't even want to see a neck through instrument much less build or play one.

Same goes for flame maple tops. I'm so sick of seeing them I could just puke, I don't care how great the wood looks. quilted maple isn't far behind. And I'm one of those "wood guys" lol

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

In order of my GAS-induced purchases:

Gibson Les Paul bass. After a short while, I just decided that I preferred passive basses. It was pretty heavy, also.

EB Music Man Stingray (twice in about 14 years). Decided to give it a shot even though it was active. Found myself preferring my Fenders. Then a year or so ago when the Classics came out, I thought I'd give it another try. Liked the 2-band better than the 3, but still didn't like the position of the pickup being so close to the bridge. (I guess I had forgotten!) I like to anchor on the pickup when playing the E string, then on each string when playing the string below. I prefer the position of the P-Bass pup, or the neck pup on a Jazz.

Ric 4003 (also twice in about 12 years). They're just SOOO friggin' beautiful, but ergonomically, I just kept preferring my Fenders. All 3 brands mentioned are great basses. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

19. zachoff

zachoff

I'm not sure I believe you... :eyebrow:

20. RS66LB

RS66LB

what a wonderfully f*&cked up thing to say -do you have some form of emotional issue(s) which prevent you from understanding how your comment would cause suprise then anger? -musicians sharing actual stories of their particular experiences was and is the theme here -your comment puts an instant damper on this. Clearly your assumptive nature goes unchecked in both keeping an open mind and not knowing enough to keep negative comments to yourself -when I call you an ******* assume I'm only saying it because you were wise enough to figure out my lie and that I'm simply jealous of your remarkable abilities.

21. 4001

Way back when I GASssed for a SWR SM-400. I got one and it never produced a tone that I really liked. I sold it a few years later.