1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Decent Headphones for my Head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SRCRS, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SRCRS

SRCRS

Hi All,

I'm looking into getting a decent/semi-decent set of headphones to plug into my Shuttle 6.0 for practice purposes. Just looking for any opinions on any good models or brands. I pretty much plan on getting some type of studio quality headphone. Also, not looking to break the bank on this one so best bang for the buck suggestions would be nice.

Thanks!
  2. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    How much are you looking to spend? Some would say that $1k IEM are the best bang for the buck.
  3. prd004

prd004

Bang for buck is a relative term. If you can afford a pair of AKG K240's get them!
    Amazing natural sound, light as feather and don't pinch, you can wear them for hours and barely know they are on your head. Very durable too, I have two pairs over five years
  4. SRCRS

SRCRS

As for price i am looking like sub-$100.

prd004 i was actually just looking at the AKG K240's they seem awesome. Also i was checking out the K77's and K99's
  5. Scott549

Scott549

I personally really like the Grado SR-60. I've had mine for about ten year. The current model is the SR-60i, I believe. The SR-80i is supposed to have more bass.
  6. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Disclosures:
    i got paid for a gig once.
    ath-d40fs is a nice set of cans
  7. SRCRS

SRCRS

Thanks Scott I'll have to check out those Grado's!

Ill check out those ath's paul!
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I've been using audio-tecchnia ATH-M40fs's for years customer service is great they replace them without any problems if you have trouble with them and you will see people spending crazy amounts for headphones you can get doll eyes doing a search for the "best studio headphones".
  9. xray

xray

Be careful of active or battery powered headphone with a GB - at least my experience with Beats is there's a terrible feedback problem when I tried to use them with my GB 9.0.
  10. SRCRS

SRCRS

haha I literally just looked at the M40fs's and liked what I read. for $50 these mite be the winner

thanks for the warning xray!
  11. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Sr-80i's Are pretty comfy the sit flat on the ear as opposed to a larger "cup" style ear piece. Nice Quality for sub $100 USA made cans.
  12. prd004

prd004

I can't sing enough praise for these cans!!!! I have Sennheisers and Sonys as well but these sound so much better, accurate is a good word.
    I can't stress the lightweight/comfortable issue enough either!

Nice long cable which plugs in and can be replaced without having to buy new phones!
    (although my original cables still work like new despised years of being rolled over by my studio chairs).
  13. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD205 that I really like.

prd004 - how is the fit of the AKGs? I tried some and the expanding head strap part never felt right.
  14. mjac28

That's a good price they were over a hundred when I got my first pair and they are very comfortable.
  15. mcglyph

mcglyph

Whatever you do thoroughly research Beats, before purchase. You could ask me, I think they are crap. Absolute junk. Shoddily made and not a very pleasing sonic bit of inaccuracy.
  16. mjac28

+10000 I had the earbuds and I would take them off and put them in the case after every use and they still broke within a year the connection from the cord to the earpiece is just too weak.
  17. DonaldR

DonaldR

Used to practice with accurate studio headphones (Sony MDR-7506): good for mixing but no fun for bass.

I bought Shure E02 IEM for less that $100 3-4 years ago and really like them. Not accurate and a bit bass heavy. I used them with Line 6 Pod Farm an a Mac and it's doing wonder for me.

Good thing about IEM it's like if I wasn't "wearing" headphone at all, they feel natural: no headband, no pressure on ears and not hot after long periode of having them on. The secret is the fit, they need to "seal" perfectly to have good bass response.
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I was looking for an inexpensive pair of headphones a couple of months ago. I wanted something that sounded decent but that I wouldn't be upset if they were lost. I ended buying a set of Ear Pollution for around $50 at Walmart. I was so surprised at how good they sounded that I actually practice my bass through them.
  19. SRCRS

SRCRS

Thanks for the info donald!
  20. prd004

prd004

That's the whole point, it feels like nothing is on your head. They are made so you can spend hours in the studio with them on. Try that with a snug pair that grip your head