1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Decent Wolly Mammoth Clone? (don't want to build one)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

Anyone know of a decent builder of a clone? Looking to get one, but don't really have the paitience to build one myself.
  2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
  3. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

website? more info? hoping for more then just an email address, ya know?
  4. Kobaia

Kobaia

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
  5. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Why not an actual Wooly Mammoth?
  6. icecycle66

icecycle66

Because you can buy a Zvex mammoth $250 or a clone for $125. (or build one for $50)
  7. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

Yeah, the price is pretty nutz for a fuzz pedal.
  8. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Not being a Mammoth owner or interested, I didn't realize how expensive they were. That is a might pricey for a fuzz pedal.
  9. insomniac2295

insomniac2295 Supporting Member

Truth +1
  10. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

I bought a WM clone from a dude on I Love Fuzz for $100. It's a spot on recreation sound wise. I can't recall the guys name but he builds all kinds of clones and I'm sure that someone on here will know who I'm referring to.

...or just head over there and do a search.
  11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Sending a PM about a few possibilities...
  12. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Bumping this thread because I'm looking for one as well.
  13. tastychoice

tastychoice

Those are super easy to build, especially if you buy the PCB from madbeanpedals.
  14. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

I might give that a try. I don't see it listed on the site though. Is it under another name?
  15. Crater

Crater

I suspect that Zachary Vex made a deal with mr. MadBean and asked him to stop producing Wooly Mammoth clone PCBs, and I believe Zvex purchased all of Madbean's remaining stock. :ninja:

It's really a simple fuzz circuit and it doesn't require hard to find "mojo" transistors or any other silliness. It's a derivative of the standard silicon Fuzz Face circuit with a couple of tweaks for bass, and of course a tone control.
  16. insomniac2295

Except I bought a few of the remaining boards?? You can still get an etched wm PCB in the for sale section of MadBean any day of the week. From what I understand, MadBean has moved away from clones altogether in pursuit of his own designs. He's actually launching his own pedal company in a little while.
  17. blubolt

blubolt

:rollno: Isn't cloning a pedal a lot like pirating music? :scowl:
  18. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

I got a great Mastrotron clone by John K.. all over the place. And no, I don't think it's like pirating music necessarily: playing a blues chord doesn't make you a pirate, it's too general. A lot of circuits are like that. Some are incredibly specific and highly proprietary.. seems the Mammoth is not one of those. I suppose it's relative. But I'd also think there's a reason they're not IP.. maybe just due to legal/registration fees?
  19. insomniac2295

What do you think of all the big muff and tube screamer clones on the market? Pretty much every pedal company out there has one of those in their roster.
  20. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Yea, I wondered what happen to the Sabertooth. I bought two boards and built two, one for me and one for a friend. Gnarly fuzzes to boot. I would not pay $350.00 for that tone + the whole pedal cost about 20 bucks to build.

I have the Madbean schematic around somewhere if anyone needs it, oh, it's still out there:
    http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Sabertooth/docs/Sabertooth_ver.4.pdf