Decided on the GB STL 900, Cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CurlyMJM, Dec 21, 2012.

1. CurlyMJM

CurlyMJM

After a lot of research, I have decided to try the GB STL 900. Mainly play old school rock, Sabbath, Purple, Who, Grand funk, etc...

I understand the cab choice is critical with this amp. Which 810, 412 or 410 pairs best with this amp. I am thinking Ampeg SVT-810E. But, Ampegs quality seems to be questionable these day's???

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Whats your budget, how loud do you need to be, and do you have any pack/transportation size restrictions?

3. CurlyMJM

CurlyMJM

No weight restraints, looking for loud and true, pre-built, <$2k.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Just to be clear are you talking about the Streamliner 900 (STM-900)?

I have found that if you really want that deep driving bass from this amp, you should look at 15's (either 2x15 or separate cabs). I could see a 410 doing the job as well, but maybe make sure they are NOT sealed. This has been my experience. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

The ampeg 810 sounds great with the streamliner. I personally think sealed cabs are great with it. I use a berg NV215 which is sealed and is also an excellent match.

7. KJung

KJung

If you have the cash, two of the Baer ML112's or the upcoming Baer ML212 KILLS with that head. You will get a lot of that warm, punchy, tone that you like with the Fridge, with more true low end, at a fraction of the size and weight. Amazing combination with the Streamliner900

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    There is a fEARful 1212/6 for sale in the classified for a song. Would totally spank with that amp.

9. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

if you want to rock then the terror 500 is ferocious with the Baer Ml112!
    Has a bit more attitude than the streamliner...
    And if 500 watts is not enough the get the 1000
    (The 500 is is similar in volume to my shuttle 9.0)

10. KJung

KJung

I guess it depends on the tone you are going after. With the Streamliner's somewhat limited, classic EQ, I had a hard time dialing in my 15/6. A bit too much low end relative to midrange for the Streamliner for me (at least if you are looking for the more classic Fridge tone that the OP seems to be). And, that bright midrange response with the 18sound mid driver worked against (IMO and IME) the organic, natural, classic top end of the Streamliner to my ear.

That doesn't mean it didn't sound 'good' in an overall sense, but NOTHING like a fridge. The Baer cabs have all the positives of these mid loaded cabs in general, but are voiced a bit more punchy and warm right out of the box, which is key IMO in a mix with the Streamliner.

IMO and IME there.

11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    See I really dug the streamliner with that 15/6. I feel the 18Sound compliments the amp wonderfully, and gives a lot of presence. Also found that if you dial down the bass knob on the amp and set the mids appropriately you end up with a low mid bump that is what I want for a "vintage" tone.

IMO/IME

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I'm currently using my Streamliner 900 with either a Mesa PH810 or PH215, and it works really well with both of them... When I play in the Alice Cooper trib act, I use the 215 - I'm sure that would be a great choice for old school classic rock...

- georgestrings

13. KJung

KJung

Just didn't work for me. I could get the low end sounding good using the low mid boost with a bass cut, but then the top end was clicky and thin. I could get the top end where I wanted with the upper mid boost and strong treble cut, but then the low end was mushy. Maybe with a P with flats or something it might work OK, but with my ash/maple P with rounds, not so much. Actually ended up hating that combo. The Max 9.2, that is a different story.

I again would not recommend that combination at all myself.

14. jlepre

jlepre

Did the OP ever verify he is referring to the STM-900 and not the STL-9.2?

15. CurlyMJM

CurlyMJM

Yes, Streamliner 900 (STM 900), sorry STL was a typo

16. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    New Ampegs are wonderful actually and an SVT 810 would rock the SL quite nicely. If you're looking for smaller the Genz Benz Uber 410 is an amazing cab too, my favorite 410.

Edit: If you consider the Uber 410 make sure it's the 4 ohm (unless you want to stack them) to get the full potential from the SL.

17. KJung

KJung

+1 A 4ohm Uber 410 would do the trick also for the OP, or a Berg HD410.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not to try to sway anyone against buying from my pals at Genz Benz, but for the record, the Ampeg cabinets have greatly improved since LOUD took over Ampeg 5 years ago. They're no longer made with OSB but real plywood, and the speakers are brighter and more even across their range rather than being too much low end and not enough highs past 2k.

19. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Yeah my 2010 Heritage 810 is fantastic both in tone and build--in fact got several gigs with it coming up this weekend and can't wait. The only negative is the softer tolex on the Heritage-- the regular Ampeg tolex is much more durable.

20. CurlyMJM

CurlyMJM

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hartke stuff is good, too, albeit quite a bit different from Ampeg, except for those AK cabs Geezer uses now, which are quite Ampeg-like.