Decisions decisions,...GK NEO 212 or Neo 412????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by voodoobassist, Apr 15, 2014.

1. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

I already pretty much know what I'm going to do, but,......going for a new rig. Picking up a GK MB800 fusion, now what to pair it with?

I can get a new NEO 212 for just a little more than 5 bills,.....or,....I can buy back my old NEO 412, in excellent condition, for an even 500. If I had unlimited funds,...I'd pick up two of the 212's, and use one, or two, as needed.

I feel like I'd be crazy to not get the 412, even though a pretty fair amount of my gigs would really only need the 212.

Feel free to chime in. I probably should just get the 212,.....but it's kinda like saying,... here,...you can have a single dip ice cream cone for a quarter,..or you can have a banana split for the same price....:bag: Which way would you go???

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

Are you going to be schlepping it to the gigs yourself, and how often are you going to need that much?

As I get older, my goal is not to have any more than I need. At 2am, that 4x12 is going to feel more than a tad excessive.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

As a completely unbiased observer, I suggest the 412. You know the 212 is great...until you need more than what it can do, you know the 412 is basically easier to move, and you also know the 412 is a Mack Truck of Sonic Goodness!! :smug:

(funny I should stumble into this!)

4. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

^ HA!!! it IS funny you should stumble across this, huh Alan???? ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I like the neo 10s better....deeper!

7. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

buldog,...yes, I'll be the one lugging it. And I'm definitely in the "older" class myself. The one advantage to the 412 though, you rarely ever have to pick it up. Tilt back handle with wheels, so you just roll it. Time to put it in the truck, tilt it back onto the bed and lift and slide. It's actually easier than lifting cabs onto a hand truck. But it is really large. Of course, that's part of what makes it fun. ;)

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah ^^^ this. I'd get the new 8ohm GK NEO212-II now, and just add a second 8ohm GK NEO212-II later on down the road after you have a little more money.

Cheers :bassist:

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

If it makes you happy... I like going components, so I can vary the rig based on the gig. I have a couple of friends with fusions who love them.

10. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm the guy who presently has custody of the 412NEO Mr.Voodoo is thinking about! :bassist:

11. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

I'd much prefer to go with two cabs,...however,...is it really worth paying twice as much to have basically the same rig in a modular setup? Like I said, if money were no object,....but it is, unfortunately.

For smaller rooms, I'm thinking of keeping my Bag End s15x-cus. It's just slightly larger than the s15d model, and has a pullout luggage type handle and tilt back wheels. So moving it is pretty much a breeze. It should handle the smaller gigs without scaring the hell out of the owners. ;)

12. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It's nice to have the choice to bring just one 2x12 to a smaller gig if needed. So I vote on the 2x12 and get a 2nd one later if need be.

13. othefool

othefool Supporting Member

If you already have a "smaller gig" cabinet, and you think you will have use for a 4x12, then the answer is obvious.

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oops, I missed this.

Oh okay, yeah either way will work - enjoy your new MB Fusion 800/NEO412 rig. :bassist:

Cheers

15. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

GK 4x12 if I were in your shoes. Plenty Loud even with a small amp like the GK MB200.

Once you feel like you need to go lighter or something more convenient, then i would save for something like a Bergantino CN2x12