1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IWieldTheSpade, Oct 18, 2013.

1. IWieldTheSpade

IWieldTheSpade

Hi all,

I'm on a hunt for pickups to put in a custom build at a later date, and I'm a little stuck for choice. Tossing up between an EMG 35dc and a Nordstrand Dual Coil, along with a 3 band eq and placement in the Stingray sweetspot. Bass will be a four string fretted and likely a 32" or 33" scale.

I don't mind the tone of the EMG, but I'm a little concerned about the harshness of it - most times I like that, but I would like something with a bit of versatility too. Would the three band eq allow anything more mellow from it too?

The Nordstrands have caught my ear, but I've only heard them in neck and bridge combinations. Has anyone had experience with just the one dual coil in this position, and how does it compare to the EMG if you've experienced both? Also, what 3 band preamps would suit (nothing too expensive though)? Sound samples would be greatly appreciated too :)

Thanks
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

SGD Neo's will give you the best of both worlds without all the drawbacks of EMG's. There is a bit of a wait, but it sounds like you are not ready for them right now anyway. Order now and they will be ready when your bass it.

http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/pickups.html
  3. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    And there is Reed James as well. I ordered a custom set of RJ Neos J/MM to go in one of my Brubaker Brutes.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

And you might actually get your order if you order from Jim Reed. I don't know how anyone in good conscious can still recommend SGD with such a big back log, very little communication, and out right lies when there is communication.
  5. mmbongo

I've heard of problems with Reed James as well.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/reed-james-hard-time-him-998662/
    But have never dealt with him personally.

I've gotten all of my SGD orders without incident thus far. I have one order in currently, about a month old.

What exactly did you order from him and how long did it take?
  6. IWieldTheSpade

IWieldTheSpade

This is why I was wondering about the Nordstrands as another option, the recent issues with custom builders have put me off that route a little bit. I do like the sound of the Reed James pickups though. Any bigger name brands do something similar, or should I throw my hat in for a custom?
  7. Hopkins

The issue in that thread was resolved, and was just with one person. The situation with SGD is on a whole different level. I am pulling for David to get it together, but its not looking good, especially the part about ignoring all means of communication.

I ordered a set of MK1 sized NEOs from Jim. I received them in 4 days, one of them had a bit of a buzz, so he wound me another one and sent it out within a week with the agreement that I would send the bad one back when I installed the new one. His customer service was absolutely outstanding, and he is easily reached by phone. In fact he called me to let me know that my pickups were in the mail when he shipped them.
  8. mmbongo

So you have no experience whatsoever with SGD? I mean other than reading something on the internet?
  9. Hopkins

I ordered a Kent Armstrong preamp from him that I didn't receive after a month, so I got my money back through Pay Pal. He told me it should take less than a week for me to receive it. I got the same pre-amp in three days from another vendor. So I have had minor dealings with him, even if I didn't that thread speaks for itself. You brought up that thread about Reed James with no experience with him, and that thread ended on a positive note, so I don't get your point
  10. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

I have a dog in that hunt, and I would recommend folks to look elsewhere...
  11. mmbongo

I clearly stated I had no experience with him directly. The point was...don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I've had nothing but quick delivery from SGD. Let's hope my latest order does not buck his trend of timely deliveries.
  12. Hopkins

I don't believe everything I read on the internet, you know like those websites that claim that George W. Bush was a shape shifting reptilian alien from the planet Niburu. But when multiple people that have no reason to lie post about outstanding orders older than a year with little to no communication, and false promises and lies, then I tend to believe them.
  13. gidbass

+1

Seems crazy to +1 my own post, but i don't want anyone else on TB to experience what we all are in regards to the SDG delays...
  14. mmbongo

Problem is, you don't hear from the hundreds of people who get great service from SGD.
  15. gidbass

Maybe you are right, they should post here and help alleviate our concerns...
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The 3 band EMG pre is great. I don't like a lot of brightness either and between the treble knob and the mid sweep, I can knock out whatever treble I don't need. Nordstrand makes great pickups as well, but for actives, I really only like EMG's.
  17. IWieldTheSpade

IWieldTheSpade

That's what I was hoping for. I've heard they sit well harmonically for running through effects too, which is definitely a bonus in my books. I think I might have a winner then :bassist:
  18. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

I have one of the EMG 40TWX single and double coil jobs nearly in the MM sweetspot (just a bit further from the bridge) in an old Westone bass. It is a cracking pickup, and with either single or dual coil output available is very versatile. I have the 3 band EMG EQ installed also. It's a great match. It's easily my favourite bass at the moment.
    Compared to a very similar old Westone bass I had a 40DC installed in (and at the same position) the TWX is definitely superior in class/tone etc etc. all IMO etc.
  19. Hopkins

If hundreds of people were getting great service from David, then you wouldn't be his only supporter. Sorry man, I can handle a long wait, but I cant handle a 2 year wait after being given a 3 week estimate, or even worse emails saying they are going out in the next batch, and given a tracking number, just to never see the pickups. I would order from him if/when he gets it together, but it seems like for every pickup someone in that thread receives, three more are added to the list.