1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Decisions decisions :-)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by apollo18, Jan 12, 2013.

1. apollo18

apollo18

Can't decide if I should get a new combo amp or a new 5 string Warwick fortress (rock bass) I play a 4 string ibanez that is my first bass but i am looking to learn 5string. I'm also looking to get a good size combo that will meet my needs for years to come. My budget is $6-800. Do i keep learning on my 4string and get a amp or get a 5 and keep playing the way i do now, through headphones. I can't buy them both now so what one do I go for first? Decisions decisions. :)

2. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member Supporting Member

Get the amp. Pretty hard for other musicians to hear you without it.

3. jlepre

jlepre

Going from an Ibby to a Warwick might be a stretch. Have you ever played one? The necks are alot chunkier than what you might be used to, not to mention the extra width due to the EXTRA string. JMHO.

4. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Aaaaaaaaaaand bingo.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    I faced this issue soon after I first started. Really what you have to ask yourself is which id really going to hold you back? An amp will let you play with other musicians, and is (usually) something you don't feel the need to upgrade after making a good choice. On the other hand, since you want to move to a five string, you may feel like that is more worthwhile choice for you.

I went with an amp at the time and have never regretted it. As for combos in that range, check out what Peavey offers, especially in the TNT range. Great sound, power and reliabilty.

7. NightTripper

NightTripper

You need an amp first. I know the GAS hits hard and it's tempting to look at all the basses you could potentially buy, but an amp is necessity. If you buy used and keep an eye out for good deals you can stretch that money pretty well. For example, I just bought an Ampeg PF500 and an SVT 410hlf for $850. :)

8. apollo18

apollo18

I did play one and I liked it a lot better then my ibanez. I didn't notice the chunky neck but the width wasn't a problem either.

9. apollo18

apollo18

The bass is a easy pick for me. I like the Warwick. Amps... There are so many to choose from. There are a couple I like, GK, Genz Benz (mite change my mind after reading that other thread lol)and hartke hydrive stuff. For some reason I keep going back to the GK 410 combo..

10. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

You need an amp first. Then you can go bass crazy!

11. apollo18

apollo18

Copy. I see a recurring trend in the responses to my thread :) I am also interested in hearing everyone's suggestions for a good combo. Thx