1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Decisions for ampeg svt-cl vs ...ampeg svt-cl

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Billy Cave, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Billy Cave

Billy Cave

I tried some amps the last couple of weeks, and I figured out that an Ampeg SVT-CL is the amp that gets me a boner. Probably with an SVT-610HLF cab with it, and I am in heaven.

Now looking around I have two options for used stuff:

SVT-CL in flightcase (vietnam 2008, retubed, excellent state)
    SVT-610HLF (vietnam 2008)
    both 1800 euro

VS.

SVT-CL (USA 2003, retubed, excellent state. barely used from an cellar, 1150 euro)
    SVT-610HLF in flightcase (vietnam 2008, 850 euro)
    sum 2000 euro

Actually, there is a thrid option, all new:
    SVT-CL 1850 euro
    610HLF 1333 euro
    both 3183 euro

The second options is much more expensive but I like the fact that the amp is from the USA. But, yeah, it is more to spent. Which option would you pick, when your in love with the amp and why?

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Either way you will be in heaven.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Chances are very good if #1 lasted to need a retube then the only difference between #2 and #1 is the made in label. #3 YOU take the hit for loss of value for the comfort of a warranty (and all new parts that have not seen the infant mortality test).
    If #1 plays well, it will be your best value and no one listening will know or care "where" it was assembled.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I'll take a Vietnamese 410hlf over a USA 410hlf any day of the week. Less boomy, more mids, and real plywood instead of OSB. As for the heads, I'd take any of them as long as they're in working condition. They all sound the same to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

I'd rather have my head in a flight case than my cab in a flight case for what that's worth.