Deconstructing "Get Back"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DannyShem, Feb 3, 2013.

1. DannyShem

DannyShem

Speaking of left-handed bass, I always assumed that Paul McCartney was a bass hero. He certainly is a superb composer/singer/musician, and a hero of mine in many ways. But listen to "Get Back", with separate tracks for each instrument. I feel a little silly critiquing McCartney, but to my untrained ear the bass does not sound particularly steady (or imaginative). Perhaps someone with more experience can weigh in on this.

If you want to skip to the bass, it starts at 5:04.
    Here is when each instrument appears: Guitars: 0:00-2:35, Drums 2:36-5:04, Bass 5:06-7:50, Electric Piano 7:52-10:41, vocals, full band.
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

What works in a complete mix is not always that impressive by itself. Take John's bass track in Helter Skelter for example. Sounds like crap by itself, but is absolutely perfect for that song.
  3. the_stone

the_stone

Agreed. Search Youtube for "Jamerson isolated" or "John Paul Jones" isolated. A lot of those classic basslines sound really strange and not as impressive as you might think they'd be in isolation, but again...in the context of the final recording, they're perfect.
  4. gavinspoon

gavinspoon

It is a very simple part, but I love the way he subtly builds intensity during the song by bringing in the octave below and adding that little hammer on. Thanks so much for posting this. I didn't know that any unmixed beatles stuff was available. I've just spent a good few hours listening to the parts to this, taxman, dear prudence and something. Its great to be able to hear all the little details.
  5. Register to disable this ad