1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dedicated "writing" sessions - Experiences, thoughts, et cetera

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

I realised over break that many of the practices with my band were slow to get around to stuff because we were trying to split 3-odd hours between writing and arranging the music and actually playing/rehearsing it. Not to mention the low-key arguments about what should be played when. (We get along, just...you know how it is)

I then came up with an idea: Put aside a separate time during the week to write/arrange/argue, and reserve the rehearsal (which we can only really manage once a week on weekends) for playing. Anybody else done this and able to comment on how it's worked out? The other two guys are extremely cool with the idea, and the only reason we haven't implemented it yet is because the drummer's school schedule is in flux right now.

2. deathsdj

deathsdj

I do the lyrics and a general groove for the song as well as most of the bass and some drum machine tracks alone before I ever bring it to the guys. Then I send it to them. My guitarist and drummer put their stamp on it and then we start the finish work when we rehearse together. So far it has worked well for us but we are not in any rush to play out as we all have jobs and families that take up a lot of our time. So yeah I think your idea is a good one.

3. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

worked very for me in the past, plus i would take a rough idea pulled from jams\mistakes/or other players and work them into a direction

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

write - rehearse - gig, gig, gig.

write new stuff - rehearse - gig, gig, gig.

and repeat ~

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mikegug

mikegug

I meet many artists in my job working for a concert promoter. I get to talk to them when their guard is down, and they're finished with their meal, hangin out in catering or driving them around town. The number one piece of unsolicited advise I get from an artist is, "You have to always be writing. Always."

That's the money machine.