deep lows on a budget

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rhon, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Rhon

Rhon

I dont like my current rig. I have an ampeg pf500 with an acoustic b410 and the low end isn't very low. The guitarist in my band has better lows! the guitarist cab goes as low or in some cases lower than my bass cab.(his bass setting was set flat) i have read that the acoustic b410 is cheap budget gear and they use mid bass drivers which cant create low freq.

I've cranked the bass and on my head thats 40hz and i can tell my cab isn't able to create those lows at all because turning the knob makes a subtle difference.

would i be happy with a 410hlf or a 610hlf? or am i doing something wrong? the speakers arent in phase. and i cant afford boutique gear like fearful and stuff.

please help. i want to be the bass player and show the guitarist what lows are all about. do i need an octave pedal to go lower? :help:
  2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

It's the cab. The head does old Ampeg fat really well. Forget the octave pedal, it's not a clean signal. Get a new cab or pair of cabs. The Avatar TB153 would do the job, so would a Carvin 10.4, if you like the 4x10 configuration.

Give us a price range por favor.

:D
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Well it is possible the speakers are not in phase, also possible you have a blown speaker or two.
  4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Corrected by a Phase Shifter?

:bag:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rhon

Rhon

i dont want to go past 600. would more speakers give better lows? I never have pa support for gigs. Also i just want one cab, i feel ok with volume on my 4x10, but i wouldnt mind being louder with a bigger cab, the most important thing is the lows.
  7. Rhon

Rhon

the speakers are in phase, sorry thats a typo. i checked, the speakers are not blown and they are in phase i did the 9volt battery test. the cab is in good working condition its just not very low, i had this same problem with my avatar b210 which turned out it had kappa 10s and those were never meant to reproduce bass.
  8. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

If it was me......I'd tell my guitar player to get the hell out of my frequency. Introduce him to the "mid" knob so people will be able to hear him at shows.
    he has no business down there..... even in metal.
  9. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

My lowest knob on my Acoustic head is 63hz. I suspect it's your cab. I'm running my head through a Hartke AK115 currently and with that low knob turned up, it thunders. Dunno how you like 15s, but I'm pretty sure hartke makes a 4x10 version for the same price. $500 new, maybe less used.
  10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

11. Rhon

Rhon

his bass is flat, hes not the problem. theres just no low end thump coming from my cab.We recorded with a mic and put it to eq graph and my lows came in around 80hz while his lows were 100hz at the same db. the mic picked up the lows at 40hz from my cab but they dbs werent very high and so i came to the conclusion the speakers arent producing the 40hz the head is throwing at it.

The cab isnt producing the lows at a db high enough from what i understand.
  12. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

13. Rhon

Rhon

thanks that looks promising, but i dont know if a single 15 will be loud enough for gigs without pa support and the occasional backyard gig would it?
  14. Rhon

Rhon

15. Systolic

Systolic

+1 He has no business down there. There should be no need to fight over that freq.

The fundamental of a low E is something like 41hz so boosting at 40hz is probably not gonna do a bunch. Try boosting around in the 100 - 150hz range. Should help a bit for the time being.

A 410 should have no problem getting nice n' low. Even a decent budget cab should get there. Hell, I had an old Peavey 410TVX that would make your guts rattle with lows. I think I sold it for 200. Heavy old pig, but it sounded great.

I've come around to loving 2x12's. Just sayin'. Grab a used GK 212 NEO and have some breathing room. Nice and light and you can stay modular if you want to add another one.
  16. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I'd check the classifieds for an Acme cab. They do low better than most and aren't super pricey retail so there might be a good used buy.
  17. Rhon

Rhon

thanks Mike, ill check out what Acme might offer.
    To be clear i am looking for really deep lows, almost reggae dub lows. So i just want to know could an ampeg svt 610hlf go low enough?
  18. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What drivers are in your cab?
  19. Rhon

Rhon

i think they are eminence alpha 10As which from what i remember dont do a lot past 60hz
  20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

They (the 610hlf cabs) do have a lot of lows and low mids. However, they are huge and heavy—unless you find a deal on a used one, you also may find them too costly.

But just to say it again, the Acme cabs go low, too. Have you considered DIY? There are kits that might do what you want near your price range. I'm thinking 15/6 plus 15sub fEARful.

Check this: http://www.speakerhardware.com/products.php?cat=147

Start with a 15/6 and add a sub15 if you need it, or just go 1515/66, haha! :bassist:
  21. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I just checked the classifieds and Acme's pop up all the time. And for less than I had thought. I don't think that the Ampegs go as low as you'd want. Acme's do.