deeper neck pocket

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassragerstitch, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Bassragerstitch

Bassragerstitch

I need to make the neck pocket on a body [DEL]deeper[/DEL] longer so it will fit my neck i got. Would a Rotory tool (ie a dremel or rotozip) work ? i just need to make the neck pocket about an inch or so [DEL]deeper[/DEL] longer. If pictures will help i can post some when i get home.

thanks guys

2. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

I think a Rotary tool would not be suited for the job. You need a (plunge) router for that.

Also, an inch deeper? Really? That's more than the depth of the original pocket (necks are usually an inch thick alltogether) and likely would remove all the material that's left in the pocket..

3. Bassragerstitch

Bassragerstitch

ok my bad what i ment is the need to make the neck pocket longer, the neck is 24 frets and the body had a 22 fret neck so i need to move the neck pocket back about an inch or so. sorry for my bad explaination.

4. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

No problem, now, I understand your question better. This is also easier to do IMO. Still, you need a router. A Rotary tool with a plunge base fixture would be too light for the job.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassragerstitch

Bassragerstitch

i really hate to ask this but why would a rotory tool be to light ??? is it the size of the motor ???? i mean i've seen some rotozips ( the brand) do some heavy stuff like plywood and such so in my head it would work BUT this is the first time ive done something like this, so bare with me haha

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Let's just say that it can be done. But it will be more time consuming than using a router.

8. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

There would be a lot of stress on the bit routing so much hard wood, with that depth (mostly about 3/4"). Maybe it's possible... but I wouldn't choose that tool.

9. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

There's the stability factor too.

A smaller Dremel would likely dance out of the hole and tear up some materiel that you don't want removed when it does so.

At the least, you'd need to build some sort of support for a plunge or fixed router base too.
    EDIT for typos.

From my Nexus7

10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Use a Router but consider just relocating the Bridge enough to allow intonation. I have done this exact mod. 24 replacing a 22 fret neck. The most important measurement is from the Nut to the Saddles and the the 12th fret being centred between them. Then your saddles should be fairly in the middle of their adjustment range.
    Consider this: If you route the neck pocket longer, now the nut is "Closer" to the bridge once neck is installed. Now you may have to move the bridge backwards to intonate anyway. You may not have enough room to move the bridge without it sticking out past the end of the body.

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Although a dremel is still not a great idea, I was thinking like this

[​IMG]

12. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

What flat surface are you going to index the plate on?

This tool works for me:::

[​IMG]

But I always need a flat surface like this to index from:::

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    He's trying to extend the route further into the body, right?

14. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

That's what I meant too, wouldn't even consider without such a router base.

15. Bassragerstitch

Bassragerstitch

Well i was thinking using the pluger router base if i go dremel way. And there is no bridge i got just the body im making wal clone lol well kinda i got an aria pro II rsb body and a ibanez rb neck and im gonna put mm style p/u in the same positions as the wal pickups are in

16. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Plunger or not - the base has to sit on SOMETHING other than your wishes, a sky hook and good intentions. Since the body is NOT FLAT around the pocket - where are you gonna hold the router?

17. grisezd

grisezd

A pro would use a router with a good platform under it. A hobbiest could get away with a dremel on a makeshift platform or a nice base. I did my first work with a flat screwdriver I sharpened into a crappy chisel on the sidewalk, then with a chisel when I wanted to step it up a notch. After that I got a day job and bought less crappy tools!

You could do it with a Bic pen and a Tom Mixx pocket knife if you want (MASH reference, don't 'cha know). Just know that you're much more likely to screw it up without a solid setup. And you're almost guaranteed to screw up your first one. So if you're not expecting perfection and just want to learn a lot, dig in with what you have.

18. Bassragerstitch

Bassragerstitch

yes that is what i want to do its only at most an inch i'm gonna make a template and then practice a few times

19. eb3mike

eb3mike

Just a thought here. Would it be easier to cut away a portion of the neck leaving the fret board if there is room?

20. rythman6969

rythman6969

OK Father Mulchahey lol :D