DeepSixx Vs. TB Plus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wannabroksta, Aug 6, 2007.

1. wannabroksta

wannabroksta

The Nikki Sixx Blackbird has 2 DeepSixx humbuckers...
    The Thunderbird IV (Standard or Gothic) has 2 TB Plus humbuckers...

Can anyone enlighten me to what the difference in sound is please?
  2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier!

From what I understand they are the same pickups - marketing language at its best! However, and you probably already know this, but the Blackbird has no volume(s) or tone control, just on and off, so you're full output all the time.

Personally, if it was my only T-bird I'd go for a IV first. In saying that I'm on the look out for a Blackbird for my collection - it's a cool looking bass and if you're playing balls to the wall Rock then you won't go far wrong with it!
  3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Someone over at the Dude Pit Gibson forum did a review on the new N Sixx Epi and said that the pickups are NOT the same ones as the regular Epi's. He said they were more powerful than the regular T-Birds (he owns both types). I haven't seen the N Sixx model to try out yet, so I couldn't say.
  4. Thunderitter

I was talking about the Gibson - not the Epiphone.

I am not sure what the deal is with the Epi's pups, just that if you budget can stretch go for the neck thro' Gibson. If not the Epi looks cool just doesn't sound/play as good. Granted there is a big price difference between the Gibson and the Epi and the only Gibson Blackbirds are going to be used.
  5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Yeah, the Gibson Blackbird and T-Bird's have the same pickups. They supposedly sound a little different because of the way the electronics are set up. I've never had the chance to try the Gibson Sixx version either. I should have bought one when they were blowing them out, but I was a moron!
  6. Thunderitter

...make that two morons!!
  7. wannabroksta

wannabroksta

Please excuse my ignorance...but i always thought that Epiphone was Gibson.
    Or is it like Fender and Squier?
  8. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Very much like Fender and Squier. Epiphone makes overseas copies of most of Gibson's products.

In the case of the Gibson T-bird and Epi T-bird the differences are more then skin deep, as the Gibson models are neck-through and the Epis are bolt-on, which makes for a very different instrument all around.
  9. wannabroksta

wannabroksta

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
  10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

i saw one at GC when they were giving them away for $499! and I did not get it. The body is not sealed and it had horrible paint, all lumpy & small runs in places. You could see the grain under the paint that was all covered with finger print grease from everyone handling it.

I kick Myself now as they sell consistantly for $2000+ now.

Anyway, my understanding was it was a brighter, & more abrasive sounding compared to the regular bird, I think by only using one or two pots with the same pickups?

really poorly crafted basses.