1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Default adjustment for EH Bassballs???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Morris, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Morris

Morris Guest

Hi, can anyone help me set my (Russian)Bass balls back to the default position. If you take the pedal apart and look on the circuit board there are two small holes beneath which are two small adjustable pots. What I'd like to know is at what time (o'clock) are the two pots set to?

If you turn these pots you can set the frequency points of the two dynamic filters. This can produce some interesting sounds but the problem I have now is I can't find the default sound.
  2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Disclosures:
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I don't think there is a 'default' in terms of 2 o'clock for one and 3 o'clock for the other, but you can use your ears to find the most 'vocal' setting. From memory, a lot of each trimpot is 'dead' i.e. not much or no change to the filter frequency (which is what you are adjusting) will be heard when turning the trimmer through this area. I'd suggest playing with one trimpot first, and finding out what parts of the trimpot have some effect on the sound. Then, set and leave that trimpot at some arbitrary point that sounds good to you. Next, adjust the other trimpot until that cool 'vowel' sound is at it's strongest.

Sorry if you already know all this, but the detail may help someone. I've built a couple of bass balls clones where these trimmers have been turned into knobs, and it really opens up a bunch more sounds.

MikeB
  3. top028

top028 Supporting Member

Wouldnt it be cool to place those trim pots on the face, so you could change the sounds at will? Maybe I should look into getting one of them. They came down in price again.
  4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

I just looked at these: WOW! I gave about 10 minutes of tweaking and this thing is sooo rockin...

Too bad they're internal: I came up with a dub sound that would make Mad Sub proud, but couldn't justify that dedication for the BB so I left it at a cool medium... lovin it!
  5. Mad Subwoofer

Mad Subwoofer

Oooooohh...don't touch those. There are more than a few tales of folk unable to resist the temptation and then never getting their old BB sound back again.
    Dub sound you say......? Hmmm...
  6. Jeff Moote

I know exactly how to get the traditional BB sound back, but I like my current setting: much lower voiced and depending on attack, after a moment the filter falls off and you get a downward sweep... very synthy... :D
  7. Mad Subwoofer

Mad Subwoofer

Dang....good tip. I'll have to look into that. Probably best to mark the original setting's with a pen tho'.
  8. Jeff Moote

Yep, though the adjustment is not too touchy, so o'clock is usually ok with this
  9. JensCambre

JensCambre

I know this thread is dead for a good 12 years but, you said you knew exactly how to get the traditional bb sound back. So I guess you markted it on the filter.

My question, can you please tell me how they where positioned? I sold my bassballs to my neighbor and got it back a few months ago. but he fiddled with the settings and now I can't figure out what the original settings are...
  10. JensCambre

JensCambre