Definition of "carved"

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Infidelic83, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Infidelic83

Infidelic83

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I have some general questions about "carved" basses.
    - When a bass is said to have a carved top or back, does that mean that it does not have to be one piece of solid wood? Pieces are glues together, then hand carved to be arched?
    -I know that laminated are multi-plyed and then steamed or shaped to be arched, same with the sides.... or is that wrong? On my search for a better bass, I come across "full carved", "hybrid", and so forth. I just want some basic clarity as to the construction process. I recently played on a romanian fully craved bass (way out of my price range) but sounded great.
    -It had a flatback, is this better than an arched back?
    -Does a fully carved bass mean that the sides, front, and back/neck all hand carved, then glued together?

Im making my own assumptions on this stuff, which not the way I like to roll. The more input, the better. Im sure I'll get reamed, but possibly schooled as well, which makes it worth it. Thanks
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Fully carved means the top and, in the case of roundbacks, the back are carved out of slabs of solid wood. In many cases, the slabs are joined together with hide glue and cleats before assembly. The ribs are bent into shape with moist heat before assembly.

Hybrid usually refers to a bass with a carved top constructed in the manner above and glued to plywood back and ribs (or, occasionally, solid ribs).

There are also basses made of solid wood that is pressed into shape, but the consensus I've heard seems to be that these aren't desirable instruments.

Flatback vs. roundback is like Coke Vs. Pepsi. I have one or more of each, and love them all.
  3. jnel

jnel Guest

good question and a very good answer by KS
  4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Yes, indeed, but fine answers can also be found right here in the stickies. If only people would read them. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. crowsmengegus

crowsmengegus