1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Defretting a bass and what to do next.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alecossy, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Alecossy

Alecossy

Hey everybody.
    So, I recently bought a used Ibanez GSR 205 and I proceeded to de-fret it.
    I then filled the fret tracks and I'm now trying to get the action as low as possible.
    I can't get it any lower than 1,2/1,3 Cms without the bass buzzing terribly so I was wondering, what could it be?
    The bridge and all of the mechanics are the original ones but with an action like that the bass requires a lot of pressure to be played and I keep "tripping" on the strings while playing fast bass-lines.
    Considering I'm pretty new to the whole fretless deal, can you guys suggest something to lower the action more or do you think it will get better once I get used to the neck and bass in general?
    Thanks in advance!
  2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Have you levelled the fingerboard to the correct radius? Is the neck relief correct? Have you filed the nut down appropriately?
  3. Alecossy

Alecossy

I worked the truss rod a bit so that the neck is completely flat (or at least that is how it looks) and the fillings were done so that they are on the same level as the rest of the neck, nothing is sticking out. As for the fretboard radius, I didn't want to try it as I am unsure how to do it.
    Edit: I didn't touch the nut. I'm kind of afraid of making a mess out of it and this is the only bass I have here (I moved to Norway for work and didn't buy myself a replacement yet).
  4. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

There are a lot of threads in luthier's corner regarding radius sanding and the like. The nut is vital - by losing the frets, you effectively lose a significant part of the height of the fretboard/fingerboard.

As for neck relief, it is vital that a neck has at least some relief. Playing with a dead straight neck is going to cause issues with buzzing. Neck relief is very subtle but necessary.
  5. Alecossy

Alecossy

Stupid question number 1:
    Is it normal that the action on the first fret is somewhere around 0,4 CMs (B string) while when being measured on the 12th fret it is up to 0,9 CMs? I always thought strings were suppose to be parallel to the neck.
    Additional details: the bass was pretty ****ed up when I bought it and that is why I paid it almost nothing, so there might be a series of defects that I can't describe due to my lack of knowledge in the field. If you need me to describe any part of it or attach specific pictures, feel free to ask so.