Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 pickups in my 1988 Warwick Thumb NT 4

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by ilikebass7, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ilikebass7

ilikebass7 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    So I switched out my EMG pickups to a set of Delano JMVC 4 fe/m2 Pickups. I LOVE the look of the delano pickups and the tone is very unique. They have incredible clarity and tend to have strong Lows and Mids but the highs dont seem to be over the top. Overall I am very happy with the tone and am excited to hear them with the new Glockenklang preamp that I ordered. The tone is very clear and it doesnt really seem to have much of its own color. I think it transfers the natural sound of the bass well and they do have a lot of punch. They are also very quiet. Let me know what you think of the tone. I recorded a clip of them and did split pickups, then bridge, then neck. I also will post a clip of my EMG pups playing the same thing and balanced in the middle. Looking forward to feedback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EMG PICKUPS BALANCED IN THE MIDDLE
    http://soundcloud.com/daniel-meichtry/thumb-bass-groove

Delano Pickups Middle,Bridge,Neck
    http://soundcloud.com/daniel-meichtry/thumb-bass-delano-jmvc
  2. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Congratulations on the Delano install! Your bass looks absolutely fantastic! Your bass sounds incredible and with the Glockenklang preamp, your Delanos will sound phenomenal.

I myself recently installed Delano dual-coil pickups in my Thumb 6 NT. I paired the pickups with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. I am VERY happy with the results. It was THE tone I was looking to achieve for this bass. This bass now has some serious balls!! Delano pickups are my new standard. They are simply fantastic.

Thank you for posting this!
  3. ilikebass7

Disclosures:
    Hey thanks man! I appreciate it! I love my thumb and would love another vintage wick! An ss1 or a dolphin or even another thumb. I love the Delano's. can't wait for the glock although I'm scared to install it haha
  4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

The EMG pickups are active are the Delano passive or active? Did you change pots on the preamp? Sounds great with the Delano pickups.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ilikebass7

Disclosures:
    I believe they are passive but I'm not sure. I love the tone. I have a glock preamp on the way to replace my Mec. I'm not sure how I will like it though?
  7. Means2nEnd

The EMG have three wires one is red attached to the batteries or battery in the control cavity. The Delano do not have these correct?
  8. ilikebass7

Disclosures:
    No they don't. My EMGs only had 2 wires hmm
  9. Means2nEnd

EMG two wires red and white and then grounding braids that surround the white "hot" wire.
  10. dave2

dave2 Gold Supporting Member

I seriously consider replacing the MEC pickups and preamp in my Warwick Thumb 5 BO with Delano. Waiting for a deal though I guess.
  11. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

This is correct. EMG pickups are active. Delanos are passive and thus will not have the red battery wires.
  12. Means2nEnd

Thanks brother I was just asking because I have never been truly happy with my fretted Thumb NT 95 I have tried a bunch of preamps and a bunch of diff pickups too. I don't want to give up on it it's in killer condition and plays like a dream maybe Delano might be the cure but if not then I waited a ton of dough. I was considering routing out for two EMGWTX side by side..
  13. ilikebass7

Disclosures:
    I love the Delano's and hope the glock will be a good upgrade as well. Fully passive ability is awesome.
  14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Growl. The Warwicks have that sound.