1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Delano Quadcoils VS Nordstrand Dual Coils

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tomas_almeida, Aug 3, 2008.

Delano vs Nordstrand

1. Delano Quadcoils (soapbar)

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Nordstrand Dual Coils

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  1. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Ok, in the furture I'm going to buy a new bass, a F405 from LTD, ESP.

I've already tried the bass. Liked it a lot, great playability and looks, and the acoustic sound was great, but I really don't like EMG stuff.

I'm going for a massive growl, so lots of midrange needed here.
    As you can guess, I play metal. :smug:
    I play fingerstyle (HATE picks) so low mids preferably, around 400hz.

I can get the Delanos for 248€ the pair and the Nordstrands for 255€ the pair. This without including shipping costs.

Here are the models:

Delanos:
    http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/delano-sbc5-hes4-5string-pickup-bridge-p-26511.html
    http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/delano-sbc5-hes4-5string-pickup-neck-p-27241.html

Nordstrands:
    http://www.woodandtronics.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=106&category_id=5ddbe8008b6145911485e6c4113a49ff&category=pickups_nordstrand&

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Honestly I've only heard sound clips of the Nordies, but have heard excellent things about both.

What I would LOVE to hear myself (because I'm thinking of buying a set of these for a 55-01 or similar bass) are clips from TBers who own either one of them! :hyper:

3. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

I would too. Is anyone feeling like contributing to the communitty a sample of these tones? :)

4. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Oh, and Lorenzini where can I find samples of the Dual Coils?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Also I would like people to explain their choice in the poll if possible.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

I believe someone put clips up in the pickups section of the forum when they installed a set of Dual Coils in a Lakland 55-01. Do a search in there.

8. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

For the record I already did a search and saw the thread. It sound like a J bass on steroids, as some good growl. But I would be using the series wired version, since paralel has a lot less midrange than series.

I imagine in series they would cut through like nobody's business.

But I want some input on the Delanos, because who knows, maybe they are the specific sound I'm looking for.

9. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

10. Ach

Ach

You'd said that you dont like EMGs, but actually they does have this very midrangey tone, you'd described, very aggressive and actually i like it for fingerstyle.

I can provide you with sound clips if you want

11. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

I've actually tried EMGs and they sounded ultra scooped, not midrangey at all. Tha EMGs that come with the bass are DCs. If you can prove me wrong please be wolcome to show me some sound clips, but without EQ obviously.

Another thing: The Delanos are a little bit smaller than the EMGs (but almos nothing) but the Nordies are bigger, so I would have to make some adjustments on the pickup cavity.

I would like more inputs on this please.

12. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    You can order Nordstrand in EMG size!

13. kraigo

kraigo

The Nordstrand DC's give you all four wires (two for each coil) The coils are wound differently depending on whether you are planning on favoring parallel or series. I picked the parallel wind because I figured it would be wound hotter. The point is that you can pick either the wound for series or wound for parallel and still run single coil, parallel or series.

When I was ordering I was told that the wound for series were much more popular.

KO

14. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

maurilio, I do know that, but since I'm in Europe I don't think I can find those in stock, and custom orderering those would be a lot more expensive.

kraigo, I also know that, but I think I would prefer the wound for series, that's why I said that.

I have seen lots of stuff about the nordies, any comments on the Delanos?

15. basadam

basadam

I have bought a set EMG size Big Splits from bestbassgear.com. Brian (at bestbassgear.com) told me that there was no upcharge since the spacing is the same. I only had to wait a few weeks.

16. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Ok, I'll have a look on that.

But I'm still interested in the Delanos, a LOT.

I'm really tempted to buy Delanos, it's intuition you know... (But it may be wrong, big time. :D)

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

I would love to spend some time with these quad coils.

18. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Me too, that's why I'm asking. The Nordies sound good but their not exactly the sound inside my head.

19. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

I just ordered some delano quads off best bass gear for my project, hopefully it'll be all built up in two or so weeks time and then I'll post some clips

20. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Those are great news. Be sure to post soundclips. :hyper:

21. emjazz

emjazz

I've had the Nordstrand duals and now have the Delano dual coils. I prefer the Delanos myself. The Delanos are very warm, clear from top to bottom...they remind me of Bartolini Classic Bass pickups but even more even. Basically I feel like the Delanos sound like what I imagined my bass to sound like before I plugged them in. That's what I was looking for. The really take to eq well too.