Delay help! Do I pay less for way more than I need?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by enjoi1018, Mar 3, 2014.

1. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

The title was as concise as possible! I'm stuck with my next delay purchase. I want a delay pedal that will end my search, but not suck me into a black hole. I need some help from you guys who know delays, and who can relate to how I'll use mine.

I've had a DD-7 for awhile that I used sparingly, but mainly to experiment writing riffs and home to make new melodies. I have it setup on the very top of my board, where tapping isn't possible. It's controlled by a FS-U to control tempo right by my foot. If I could have expression control as well as tap tempo, it'd be ideal. Very few of the delays on following list (two, I believe), fit those criteria.

Straight to the point: I can buy a used TimeFactor for wayyy less than a JHS Panther cub, TC Nova Delay w/ a tap mod (a MUST for my tap pedal location situation), JHS Panther, Deluxe Memory Man w/ Tap Tempo, or Timeline.

Most of these, especially the Timeline and TimeFactor, are ENTIRELY too much delay for me. I'm compulsive with knobs. I'll never touch my bass if I have these and 50+ presets.

If I get a good deal, however, I'll be able to pick up a TimeFactor for 100 bones cheaper than the next delay on the list. It's very hard to justify paying more for less for a guy who barely has ever purchased a new pedal!

I originally wanted a Panther Cub, but having tap tempo and expression control separate has me salivating... :D

What do you folks think? Do I buy the pedal that fits my needs/wants, or one that might drive me crazy (powering it and dealing with it) that might save me some cash? Any other ideas for a delay out there?

Thanks for all of the help, TB!
    Dexter_Bass likes this.
  2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

EHX Memory Man with Hazarai (has tap-tempo,reverse,modulation and a very nice 30-second looper for much cheaper than your aforementioned options. I own one and really dig it
  3. enjoi1018

I checked that out, but it doesn't have the modulation control or tap out.
  4. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

No tap out (unless you get it modded) but it does have modulation control for the mod-delay setting.

Another option would be the Tech 21 Boost DLA as it has tap tempo and controls for modualtion (use to own one and really dug it as well;no reverse or looper though which was a deal breaker for me.)

Another option could be the TC Electronics Flashback Delay/Looper (no dedicated tap tempo but has audio-strum tempo and with the Tone Print you could make any delay,within their parameters)
    Dexter_Bass likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. enjoi1018

hmmmmm. Interesting.

Thanks, Fabe. I'll research. Keep the idears comin'!!
  7. enjoi1018

The Nova Delay with external tap and preset knob is intriguing. Presets for different amounts of "color" i.e. pristine, analog, or tape.