1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Delay pedal --- Analog vs Digital

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 83_Silberpfeil, Jan 8, 2014.

1. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Looking to add a delay pedal to my set up. Wondering about Analog vs Digital.

Looking for some seasoned veterans here to school me on the two.

My current set up is a Yamaha BB1200S (active) into a EHX Clone Theory (original 80's chorus pedal) then into an Ashdown 5-15 combo.

I try to emulate Peter Hook's New Order sound.

Thanks!
  2. hellboy

hellboy

Unless you're looking for a very specific sound (like a tape delay) I don't see much point in an analog delay, and AFAICT Hooky always used digital.
  3. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I only use analog but I actually like the repeats to degrade.

Depends what you want it to do.
  4. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

I don't have a lot of stock in the analog/digital debate. As already mentioned, it really depends on how you want your repeats to sound. If you want them to be super clean, you'll likely have to go digital. Otherwise, surf around for the sound you're looking for. I, too, like my repeats to degrade, but I love the sound of my Caroline Kilobyte, which is in fact digital. It adds modulation and gain to the repeats, or you can turn those parameters off and get perfectly clean repeats.

No idea what Hook would have used for delay, but you certainly have the gear for a nice Hook setup. Cheers.
  5. hellboy

hellboy

Digital delays can degrade the repeats as well. Nothing wrong with analog, but a digital delay will be more flexible, and unlike some other effects there's little or no downside to going digital.

I was mistaken, it appears that Hooky did use a Yamaha analog delay for a bit at the end of Joy Division, but he switched to digital delay (Korg or Roland) not long afterwards. It's not a big part of his sound, though, so just about any decent delay should work.
  6. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

Same as the others. I would suggest a digital delay, as it is easier to use, and probably more versatile. Plus, you can often degrade the signal too, if you wish to, on some digital delays, such as the Nova Repeater for example.
  7. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

There is a place for either because they both have a unique character. I have both in my rig.

Analog when I ant to sound warm, subtle, flexible, and have the repeats gently fade away.

Digital when I want something crisp, dead-on time, rhythmic, and attention grabbing.

If New Order is what you are aiming for then go digital, there wasn't much subtle his delay sounds and timing in new wave/electronic is vital.
  8. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Thanks to all who chimed in with your valuable personal experiences and knowledge.

It does sound like the Digital path is what I should explore next --- I'll look into Roland or Korg as HellBoy has mentioned.

I know the core effect that makes Hooky's sound is the EHX Clone Theory --- and I have that already. Now, I'm just trying to refine it --- with a bit of delay; 80 ms based on some research I've done.

Thanks again to all!!!!

Cheers.
  9. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

Another tid bit to add... if you want the repeats to continue after you've disengaged the pedal you'll need to go digital. An analog delay will kill the repeats immediately. Some like this when you get a big feedback sound and then just kill it abruptly. Others like to have them echoing as they turn it off so it's smoother from the affected tone to the unaffected.

As many have said regarding tone of the repeats, depends on your taste.