1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Delay Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Animal, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Animal

Animal Supporting Member

Probably not a very popular pedal/effect for bassists, but I borrowed a friends delay (Arion DDM-1) & created some great stuff. The Arion is a cheaper pedal & created a little buzz through my speakers.
    I am now in the market for a delay pedal. I've been tooling around online & there's quite bit out there. I am just curious as to what people are using & what they like.

2. Swift713

Swift713

Delay is very popular for bass. I have the Hardwire DL-8 which is digital with analog emulations. It does tap tempo, 8 seconds of delay, 20 second looper, and it sounds pretty good but mostly I use a Zoom B3 for delay. I've gotten used to precise millisecond measurements.

3. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

How much do you want to spend? What kind of sounds are you after? I'm just asking because there are delay pedals that are awesome with tons of options that cost a lot of money or there are more simple options that don't cost a lot of money. Do you want/need tap tempo or expression control? Presets?

Spendy and loaded with options - Strymon Timline
    Inexpensive but unique and interesting - Idiotbox Dimension X

There a lot more out there but those are two that interest me a lot. I can't afford a Timeline but the Dimension X is only 100 bucks. There are tons delays out there in between those in price. The Digitech Timebender seems pretty neat and so does the TC Electronic Flashback and TC Electronic Delay x 4.

I use a Wasabi fwd and reverse delay but it would not be my first choice if I was shopping for a new delay. It's fun but there are better/more interesting options out there. The delays in the newer Zoom multis are a lot of fun. Check out the B3, MS60B and CDR by zoom. A lot of different delays at a very reasonable price.

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  4. Geist

Geist Supporting Member

I've been using an EHX memory toy, but I just bought a Flashback and can't wait for it to show up. The memory toy is a good delay and I really like it. It's simple with 3 knobs (delay time, blend, and feedback - or how many times the delay plays back), plus a mod switch, which adds a light chorusy sound to the delayed notes. I find the memory toy is a great budget delay pedal and I love the tone of it. The only downside is that the low range (B and E string notes) play back with an overdriven sound to it as the circuit has a hard time handling the low frequencies. While I'm excited to be getting a more full-featured digital delay, I really have enjoyed having the memory toy for the last couple years, and its a pretty cheap pedal to boot.

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Animal

Animal Supporting Member

I only said it wasn't popular because the handful of bassists I know in NY don't use or have a delay & when I go back home to Mass, the couple bassists I know don't have or use delay.

I guess I'm looking for something with more options. More controls & effects. I like having the looper option. Anyone use the Line 6 DL4?

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

The DL4 is a pretty well regarded pedal sound and option wise especially for all it's interesting looping texture abilities, but they are not known for reliability ( most of the people I know that use and rely on them own multiple backups!)

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  8. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Zoom MS 70 CDR....all the chorus, delays and reverbs a guy will ever need in one easy to use and reasonable priced unit. The audio quality is excellent too.

9. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

A Strymon Timeline or an Eventide Timefactor are next on my list...

10. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

Line6 m9 has all the delay options and more as the dl4 plus all the other wild sounds it can make. And you can stack delays. More expensive but you get a load more

11. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

I love delay on bass. In a trio it can be amazing.

I am currently using a EHX. Memory boy. I am planning on purchasing the MOOG mini-MF delay when it finally comes out. Seems absolutely ideal for most purposes and plus it's a Moog and their MF-104 delay is the industry standard IMHO.

12. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Earthquaker Devices Delay/Reverb, last time pedal you will ever need (though, you may want more).

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  13. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Endangered audio research ad 4096.

14. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Yep, I'm using the Dispatch Master and LOVE it!
    Exactly all I need.

I had a Timeline, complete with external midi controller.
    Way more delay than my meager skills could handle, but man was it fun to play with!

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Effectheadaholic Supporting Member

I love delay, delay freak here! I would recommend the Hardwire DL8 as Swift stated, awesome delay with a lot of great sounding modes and a looper in it. I use the ol' DOD DFX9 digital delay, it almost sounds analogue though, very juicy drippy delay. I have an endangered audio 4096 coming soon, a little pricey, but Ive heard its well worth it. If you want to try a few different types of delays, try the Zoom MS70CDR. Very diverse range of delays and they sound really good to me. Also, look into the Line DL4, has a ton of options and also has looping capabilities. That pedal looks rqd and Im surprised I still havent picked one up but my guitar player has one and uses it all the time, I hope to grab one one of these days. This is also the only one I mentioned that I havent owned and used extensively. Also, I plan on getting the Joyo D-Seed digital delay. That thing looks pretty sweet and at a very affordable price. Check that one out too.

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 Effectheadaholic Supporting Member

Also, I find delay to be very inspiring. I seem to always right something when I'm fiddling around with it. Can't always use it in a band setting for my band, but it's still the most fun of effects in my book. If you listen to my soubdcloud there's a lot of delay going on in there.

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  17. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Supporting Member

Picking up this little nugget that will keep me busy for days figuring out how to turn it on!!! I WILL have the manual handy - Warning guitar demo

Empress VMSD

SICK!!!

18. ngh

ngh

+1

i have had one of these in my bass rig for 2 years now. love it to death.

I play in a three piece and running this thing in the infinity mode allows me to really open up possibilities for the guitar player, he can get super minimal and the sound can stay full. I also over use the crap out of the expand foot-switch, always with a smile on my face though!

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  19. Dr Greenthumb

Dr Greenthumb Supporting Member

The AD4096 does sounds awesome, I just wish it had more delay time which is why I moved it. Sill loving my El Capistan though.

20. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

I love my Caroline Kilobyte. A lot of character. Getting an Infanem Small Echo Array any day now.

21. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

I really want an AD4096 but I don't have enough time to play bass to justify that kind of money on a pedal at the moment. However my boss DD-3, while simple, gets the job done. Delay is a nice effect. One thing I like about the Boss design: footswitch is super big making it easy to turn off and on.

Dexter_Bass likes this.