1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Delay pedals that don't add a bunch of low-end noise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Space Pickle, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

A guitarist I play with on a regular basis uses an MRX carbon copy delay. His tone sounds great when it's off but I've noticed that when activated, it adds a bunch of low-frequency content to his sound. This results in mud city (i.e. I can't hear myself anymore). I have a Boss DD-3 I'm going to ask him to try next time we play, but can anyone reccommend a delay that has a really transparent tone and doesn't add a lot to the sound?
  2. sunbrother

sunbrother

I have a tv electric nova repeater, on the studio setting it's very true to tone. There's also analog and tape emulation should you want it. I got it for a steal a month or so ago on Sweetwater.

You'll probably want to stick to digital.
  3. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

Your DD-3 should be much better. I've used a DD-7 quite extensively on both guitar and bass and have found it to have a very transparent tone.
  4. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

The Carbon Copy is an analog delay with a darker character by nature. A digi-delay with clean repeats (or one with tone control set to equal) will "clear" things up. Not all analog delays will be "muddy" but for the most part, can be.
  5. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

The DD-20 has a tone knob, so you can make the repeats as bassy or trebly as you want. It allows you to dial all the mud out of the repeats. It's a cool feature that I wish more delays had.
  6. tsverrir

tsverrir

You should try a pedal that has a high-pass filter. Lower frequencies tend to cause phase issues when the delayed signal blends with the original. I imagine that the delay in question does not actually add anything to the signal as you suggest, but the muddiness you hear is because of these phase issues. If you could cut anything below ~150-200 Hz from the delayed signal, you could get a beautiful delayed sound that does not mess (too much) with the original tone.