1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Dec 27, 2012.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

I really want an awesome delay pedal. I'm using an old best up DOD at the moment but want to upgrade some time soon. What are your guys' favorites and why? And which delay pedal do you think you guys would get that's one of the best out there? Is the MXR carbon copy any good?

2. gregmon79

3. rockstarsmd

rockstarsmd

What's your budget? Some nice ones live in the $150 range , and some crazy nice ones live at $250 and above...

A few of my faves are ToadWorks REDUX, Cusack TAP-A-DELAY, and T-Rex REPLICA.

Delay is the way!

4. MADChuudoku

MADChuudoku

I think those old DOD ones are pretty cool, anything in particular you don't like with it or want with a new delay?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You should first decide whether you want an analog delay, or a digital delay. They are very different. Analog has a certain "tone" to the repeats that some digital, delay's try to emulate, some fairly well. Digital delays offer much longer delay times, as well as a host of different features, depending on the particular unit you choose. For analog, the Carbon Copy is good, but basic, the EHX Memory Toy/Boy series have more options, and digital, the TC Electronics Flashback is good, as is the Boss DD-20, or DD-6, etc. You can spend ALOT more for some like Pigtronix or Strymon, but you may not need what they offer.

7. gregmon79

The DOD has served me pretty well I guess but I'm looking for a very simple and easy pedal. One that won't have me bending down all the time. I know if I'm looking for a different setting I'll have to go there buy I'd like one that is quite easy to use. I'm not sure if I'd like a digital or analog. What is the biggest difference between the two? I suppose I'd like to stay under $200 but if I had to I'd go higher. The boss ones always seemed appealing to me. As well as the carbon copy.

8. gregmon79

Btw, I really like the techniques Justin chancellor from tool uses. If I had to choose the type of delay sound I wanted, that would be it. I know there's a lot more to that type of sound than just delay though.

9. mc_muench

mc_muench

MXR Carbon Copy if you go analog...

10. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Carbon Copy is a very nice sounding analog delay, I dig mine.

For digital there are many choices across a broad price range with the more expensive units really delivering on features and sound quality.