deliberate practice, what is it?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The Risky, Mar 23, 2014.

1. The Risky

The Risky

I've been reading up on some blogs about "deliberate practice" and i can't seem to put a finger on what exactly it is and how does it look like when you practice.

Being a bassist myself, i find this place fit for this question.

So in a very basic way, can someone explain it what it is and how exactly would it look like when the next time i learn A song/A Riff/or do daily practice's.

Thank you
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Deliberate = Planned or done on purpose. To think carefully in or to make up one's mind. To consider reasons for or against.

IMO deliberate practice is to deliberately set out to practice a specific thing; be that a song, riff, chord progression or what ever you have decided to study, do it deliberately. Or put another way; stay focused on the task at hand.
  3. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

Good question OP. MalcolmAmos summed up the answer eloquently.

I guess it involves

- goal setting,
    - planning and
    - execution.

A) What it probably isn't: Playing every day with some noodling and trying to work on this song one day and a few scales the next and muddling with mixolydian the day after, playing along with whatever comes on the radio on the weekend...

B) Example of what it might be: Deciding to learn all 7th and 9th chords by cycling through the circle-of-5ths, working on it 'til you know them stone cold, then take these same chords through 1st inversion on the circle-of-5ths, 2nd inversion and third inversion etc.

There's nothing wrong with "A)", IMO, so long as it coincides with "B)". I do too much of "A" and not enough deliberate practice. *sigh*.
  4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

At school you'll have to work on many pièces of music at the same time for various class, solfege, music theory( like you have a some music written in standart notation and you have to writte the chords, passing tone, explain leading voice etc ... and sometimes writte a part with some rules), hearing music and writting it, recognize chords and sing them.

each of those thing work hand in hand with the rest ... but I think the most important thing is to have a goal each week ... and going step by step ... if you learn everything that is to learn about chords then you may lack many important knowledge that you would acquire doing something else and that would help making sense of all of it.