Delightful Diva - Not!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Muttleybass, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

We did our Monthly gig at a downtown bar on Saturday night. It's a tight little space and I run the sound from the stage. As usual, I get a really good sound at the beginning, but if the sound changes throughout the night I can't get through the packed dance floor to grab a listen. Obviously no complaints from the crowd... Except ONE.

This chick comes up at the end of the night when we're packing up and says our singer needs more mid on her voice. I do my best not to be condescending. We ARE packing up and the advice is pretty useless at this point. I politely say "Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next time." Then she goes on to say that she's been at this a long time. She's 36, and she knows what she's talking about. Okay... I say "That's great. I've been at it a while, too". I'm 52... I've been at it since long before she could wipe her own butt.

I continue tearing down and wrapping cords. We try to get that done as fast as we can and get out so the bar staff can get home. She tells me she sings in a band... Great, awesome... She's toured, how wonderful... Then she starts wrapping cords.

I'm not sure exactly what went wrong at that point. I said "Thanks, but I got that" and gently took the cord away from her and wrapped it fast.

"I was doing the same thing you were!" She snarled at me, like I just spat on her baby.

"That's fine... I know... I appreciate the effort, but I got it." I say.

Then she goes "Oh, your one of THOSE! You don't want any one else doing YOUR job!"

I said "Well, if you want to look at it that way, fine. Sure. Whatever. I appreciate you're trying to help, but we got this."

Then she storms off, muttering obscenities, thinking I'm a jerk because I don't need or want her help. :rolleyes:

When did it become okay to touch other peoples' gear without being asked??

Sometimes no matter how much you try, there are people on this planet you just cannot get along with. :scowl:
  2. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

She sounds like a piece of work. And it is a bar, so her already questionable personallity might have been notched up a bit by alcohol. You handled it well as a professional would.

Take a deep breath and be glad that you aren't doing her sound.
  3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Kinda sounds like a Cougar come-on act, y'know? And hell hath no fury...etc.
  4. Finbase

Finbase

Maybe it was her awkward way to get your attention? ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

In her own weird way, she may just wanted to get a conversation going with you and started it by talking shop. When she started to coil a cable, she was letting you know
    that she was in the same club as you. I think she felt rejected. Just my take on it.
  7. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

tell her to move the 810 bass cab next HAHA
  8. Finbase

Finbase

You see?!? :D I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is feeling pitty for that desperate woman. A lady coiling a caple... That's pure LOVE!! :p
  9. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

She was flirting with you. Storming away was a weird female way of saving face, since you were being dense about it.

Not the most charming way to approach someone, but then she was probably six beers in at that point.
  10. ACNick

ACNick Guest

I'd go with the "six beers in" theory, because all I got from the conversation was a very strong "beat it, toots" vibe.
  11. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

Flirting?? lol... She violated the half + 7 rule! She was like an annoying little kid!

Any ladies out there wanting to impress me should probably NOT start with insulting my ability to do sound, then say "I've been at this a while" to a guy who's obviously old enough to be her.... um, dad's younger brother. :p

Still, I guess I should be flattered! LOL... :D

I tried SO hard not to give off that "beat it, toots" vibe. Admittedly, I might have tho'.
  12. vinny

vinny

If she was cable wrapping over/under, I'd have let her do them all.
  13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Five bucks says her singing experience doesn't exceed much past being in the vocal choir of her church's Christmas pageant.

I have had females do and say weird things to flirt with me, though. I guess guys don't have a monopolgy on doing steroetypically stupid things to get someone of the opposite gender's attention. :meh:
  14. wabbit

wabbit

It seems all she really wanted to do was to handle your cable.
  15. Joedog

Joedog

Dang... send her here.... my wife hasn't touched my cord in..... wait, that didn't sound right....
  16. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Yup yup yup yup.
  17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Nope....

People like this want to feel like they are important and part of the band. It's classic.
  18. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

So you are saying she might want to be invited to sit in sometime in the future?
  19. ksandvik

ksandvik

Sounds indeed like she was interested in you and you didn't recognize the details. Or she was maybe trying to get into your band as a singer.

Hint. Next time something like this happens, let them do all the talking, by listening you could quickly find out their real motivations as talking will deliver the information.
  20. Mehve

Mehve

Lies. You don't knock on a stranger's house without a definite reason or invitation. You knock on a friend's house and see if they want to hang. You have to be REALLY tight before you can walk in unannounced and grab a beer out of the fridge. Ditto for other people's gear. And it's pretty hard to spend any time in sound/music without learning that.

I'm thinking this was the gender-swapped equivalent of male BS-ing to impress a chick. With a similar success rate.
  21. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Nope. She just wants people to think she's important.