Deltalite II vs. Basslite for cab re-build.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tschmu20, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Tschmu20

Tschmu20

Hi guys!

I'm resurrecting an old, beat-to-hell Marshall 1960B cab, and I need some help making a final decision on the speakers.

I'm looking at the Eminence Basslite 2012 and the Deltalite II 2512. The Basslite's look to be a perfect fit, Eminence recommend 1.1-1.3 cubic feet of sealed enclosure per-driver, and the Marshall has an internal volume of 4.93 cubic feet, 1.23 per driver. I would however like to get the extra sensitivity the Deltalite II's offer, but I've found some differing information regarding mounting them in a sealed box. On the spec sheet, Eminence recommend .8-1.0 cu.ft., but on the Parts-Express site (citing BassBox "optimum" calculations) they say 1.27 cu.ft.

What do you guys think? If both will work I'm leaning towards the Deltalite II's, but if that size difference is enough to matter then I'd rather go with the better match. I've read that sealed cabs are fairly forgiving in this regard but that's not exactly empirical evidence, and so I want to get a second opinion :)

Thanks!

2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    They're both about the same sensitivity in the lows. The Deltalite runs louder in the mids/uppermids, giving it a different tone profile. Basslite would sound smoother, more "even". Deltalite will be more pronounced in the uppermids.

Either "will work" in the cab. JohnK used Deltalites to reload an Ampeg V4 cab with Deltalites with good results.

The tone difference between the two is mostly a preference. Basslite being warmer, though I liked the Deltalites in my rig as those extra uppermids are usually what get soaked up in a room full of bodies, so having extra there helped keep definition in my sound.

3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Can think of it as the Basslite sounding more classic and the Deltalite sounding more modern in their default tone, although listening from out in an audience full of people, the Deltalite didn't sound "too modern" anymore, just kept definition. One of those deals where it can lack some warmth up close, but evens out after it gets soaked up by bodies, carpet, curtains, etc. Of course, all that changes again after you start twisting eq knobs.

4. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

The Deltalite has greater power handling, with mids as described by Will33.
    If the Basslite can handle your power needs, then you can save a few bucks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

I have a TL806 1x12 with the DeltaLite II, and a small, custom-made, sealed 2x12 with BassLites. I can vouch for the tonal differences Will33 mentioned, and the TL cab is as loud as (or pretty close) the 2x12, and definitely more mid strong. The BassLites are a bit more scooped - warmer, thicker, but still provides the pick attack. And both cabs are featherweights (which was the goal)! I power the cabs with the TCE RH450. Really enjoying the mini rigs!

7. iualum

iualum

Have 2 Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 210s (Jack forerunners) loaded w/Deltalite II 2510s for a "vertical" 410. Tremendous is all I can say.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    It looks like your box has roughly the same liters per driver as the little 1x12 that I built with a 2512-ii. It's been a great cab. I like it a lot for electric and upright. It doesn't have a huge amount of low end, but I'm looking for a tighter sound anyway. On the other hand, the BassLite looks very similar on paper when modeled in the same box, and the lower cost can't be overlooked.

A question: Are you trying to preserve the "vintage" looks of the box, or is this just going to be a work horse? A port would help with either of the Eminence drivers. I'd recommend putting one in the side of the box, so it can be big enough to function well.