Deluxe P Bass Special or Deluxe Active Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Verniko, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Verniko

Verniko

Alrighty, so lately I've been saving up to get a new bass and leave the starter pack behind, and I've almost come to a descision, but being the newbie I am, I need some imput. So, which one will it be?
    Fender Deluxe P Bass Special
    OR
    Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass?
    YOU DECIDE!

((More Info!: Huge Claypool fan here, and I want that nice dark tone he gets in his older albums like antipop, seas of cheeze, and the brown album. I've also got big hands and an okay amount of experience, so I dont really need any newbie accomidations if that makes much sense??))

Help is much appreciated!
    Thanks guys, you rock! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

2. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

I find the P-J configuration more full and satisfying to me personally- Ive tried the new active Jazz deluxe (a couple) and now have 2 P-Deluxes- I had the Mexi-Deluxe special and it was great-only thing was I had to adjust the neck every month or so- Havent had that issue with the americans.. The P-Deluxe specials are at a great price point and being active REALLY cut through..I liked my black and gold ALOT.. It pretty much helped me move into the upgrade a year later! Good luck~

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I've owned several of each, and ended up keeping one of the Ps - IMO, they both can cover ALOT of sonic territory, and actually overlap tonally more than one would think - *probably* because they share the same preamp(I think)

The necks are the same - so, it pretty much boils down to which body shape you prefer - P or J???

A couple of other things - if you're one who likes to change PGs, the Jazz will fit any standard Jazz PG, whereas it's a bit tricky to find one for the Deluxe P Special, due to the knob config... Also, the Active Jazz Deluxes I had were typically a little heavier than the Deluxe P Bass Specials I had...

They all were great basses for the money($350-$400) - on the used market, that is... Hope this helps,

- georgestrings

4. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

I just picked up an older (passive) version of the MIM Deuxe P-Bass Special. It's the standard P-J bass with a VVT setup that's passive. It uses a standard P-type pickguard, using the output jack location for the 3rd pot, and it has the output jack mounted on the side of the body. The newer ones are active, with extra knobs on the pickguard which creates a compatibility problem for pickguard swaps.

It wasn't clear in the OP whether or not you're looking for an active vs. a passive bass, but the MIM Deluxe P-Bass Special can be had both ways depending on the model year. I just scored a used copy of the passive version and I'm very happy with it. When I tried the Am Deluxe Active Jazz bass I actually wasn't fond of the active preamp, and I decided to look for a passive American Standard, but before I could find an Am Std J the MIM PJ fell into my lap and I settled on it. I'm a happy camper.