Demeter Minnie White Noise/Hiss

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LakeEffect, Mar 17, 2014.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I am currently troubleshooting so as to rid some white noise/hiss from my rig and I am looking at the Minnie as the main culprit, here is the setup and why I feel this way:

Chain: Bass>New Cable>Jule Monique>Demeter Minnie>Berg CN112

I'm getting some pretty audible "slow hiss" white noise type thing going on (its not super high frequency sounding, and it is present even when I turn the highs all the way down on my bass/Monique).

I know its not my bass, because I've played that through a few different things lately and the problem doesn't come along for the ride. I don't think it is the Monique because there is no bad white noise coming from it when it is used as just a DI. That said, that favorable result was from running it out the balanced XLR. Also, the hiss is still apparent even when the Monique is powered off and just the Minnie is on/plugged into the Berg.

Now to the Berg, the hiss is still present even when the tweeter is turned completely off, though it does become a little more subdued. That said, part of the reason I bought the cab was for its tweeter, so I'd like to find a favorable result with, at least, the tweeter set flat.

Also, I don't think it is my power source, as I had another amp plugged in the same spot last week (which I unfortunately don't have any more to swap out with the Minnie for troubleshooting purposes).

So what does everyone think, is the Minnie or the Cab more likely the culprit here? I've read somewhere that the gain can be turned down internally on the Minnie? Would that help?
  2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    How are you running the Monique/Minnie combo? I tend to run the line out between 3:00 and full CW. I use the volume on Minnie as the "master" or overall volume. Some guys fun Minnie full up and then use the line out on Monique as the overall volume, but I think that makes for a noisier setup.
  3. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

I have a 201/800.
    It buzzes for about five seconds as the caps charge up and then it slowly fades to a barely noticeable amp hum. Does yours do the same?
    However, there was one time that it didn't fade away and the amp hummed much more than normal. I gave it a quick shake and it instantly went away and has never come back... Very disconcerting. But, that was several months ago and it has never come back.
    So, my guess would be the Minnie.
    These are quite new and hand made, so they are bound to have a few bugs to work out.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Step one: As James

Step two: Ask Jule

Step three: ???

Step four: Profit
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LakeEffect

I have he Monique line out dimed, intending to use the Minnie as the master volume. Backing off the Monique's line out and mixing in more volume from the Minnie didn't seem to remedy the issue. It remains pretty much the same, even when the Monique is completely off and only the Minnie is on and hooked up to the Berg.
  7. LakeEffect

I played it for a relatively short time, I had to run (I think a half hour or so). It was at low volume though, so maybe the caps hadn't charged up yet. This is an interesting consideration I didn't think of, I'm going to look into this tonight.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

The Monique is QUIET. Mine I run between 90% and 100% up and it has no discernible noise, even without metal based tubes to ground/shield.
  9. LakeEffect

That was my impression to from using it just as a DI into my computer, I'm thinking its either the Minnie or the Berg. I guess I'll have to get my hands on another power amp/cab to run a test.

10. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

No, I'm talking only like five seconds or so when I first turn it on. I hit the power, about 1 second, then loud buzz...slowly fade to silence.

Does anyone else's Minnie do this?

Maybe I need to email Demeter.?.?.?
  11. LakeEffect

Oh, yeah, not whats going on with my unit haha. Although I did like your suggestion just to shake it around a little :D.

Both the Minnie and Berg are used items...
  12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Still worth an email. Both Jule and Jim are good guys and will likely give you some ideas.
  13. LakeEffect

That's the plan, I'm going to do some more troubleshooting too, not ready to cry foul yet, appreciate your help!
  14. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

Haha, but it's not entirely unscientific. A cold solder joint or micro phonic tube can often be diagnosed with a jiggle.
  15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

don't e-mail James,... call him, he spoke with me forever. even his wife was very helpful. gl.
  16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    My Minnie runs loud also. Definitely not Monique, my basses, cables, etc. as I have been using the same gear except Minnie (was a Crest ProLite 2.0 poweramp) for well over a year and it was super quiet.

I find that Minnie hums like crazy if I dime it and use the Monique to adjust my volume (my preferred method). I have now been forced to keep the Minnie volume between 8:00 and 12:00 to keep the noise down and go louder on Monique.

No big deal, but I find it funny that Minnie has an on/off switch for the fan (obviously for quiet operation in a studio) but hums. My $300 Crest runs much quieter which is concerning.

The positive is that Minnie sounds great on a gig and the hum isn't noticeable at all. If I bought Minnie for a studio, I wouldn't be pleased.
  17. LakeEffect

Ah, bummer, I'm about 50/50 time spent recording and live. It does sound amazing at volume, but I swapped cabs and it is definitely the Minnie. I'm going to give him a call and see if maybe it's just something about our particular units, or to be expected across the board.
  18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

My DeMonique had a 'normal' amount of background hiss. About the same as my Markbass heads, for example, much more than my Glockenklang Blue Soul. Much less than the GK heads, to put it in context.

No problem live. Close mic'ing in a studio with a cab with a tweeter... might be an issue.

The optimum 'signal to noise' should be the Minnie turned all the way up, and then setting your volume with the level control of the Monique (which is the default setting with the integrated unit).
  19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hum and hiss are two different issues. My Minnie had zero hum (DeMonique), but again, had the typical amount of 'high frequency hiss'. If there is an actual hum like a ground loop or whatever coming out of your Minnie, my guess is there is something wrong either with the amp, or somewhere in the signal chain.
  20. LakeEffect

Ah, I think you nailed it there with the comparisons, I may just be spoiled given my previous amp selections. And good call on my sloppy use of hum/hiss, the two words aren't necessarily interchangeable, it's a hiss (not a loop issue, from what I understand).

Sounds like it's just the nature of the beast. I know it won't be an issue live whatsoever, but I don't have a separate jam and practice rig setup (I'd rather have one great rig to move around than two mediocre ones that I don't have to move, I'm relatively young, so we'll see how much longer I'm singing that tune, haha). Living in an apartment, a considerable amount of my practice time is at lower volumes. Luckily, that won't be the case for long, so my issue with it may dissipate.

I'm going to look into a good noise suppressor/power cleaner and see of that helps. Thanks for your help everyone, I want to leave the right feedback for some TB sellers, and you all have helped confirm they deserve a thumbs up.
  21. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Good point. I meant hiss. I should have been more clear. Not referring to anything that resembles a 60 cycle hum.