Demo Of Fender TBP-1 Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Nov 6, 2012.

1. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Hey Guys,
    I've been interested in one of these for awhile now but really good demos of it seem to be hard to come by. Could any of you do a demo illustrating the tone stack and overdrive features? What have been your likes and dislikes of the unit?
    Take Care,
    Brent

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I have one. It is in the repair shop right now because the vari-q section distorts even with 0 gain. Overall I really like the unit. It has a really nice set of useful features. The main out will easily drive most power amps. I am using it with an XLS 1500 into a Fearful 15/6/1. The tone stack is typical fender. Same as you would find on an Alembic FX-1, etc. It has a natural mid scoop. The vari-q is a nice balance to that. (I find that getting the right mid-focus is key to getting a good sound. ) It has a very big bottom, and the treble is more upper mid, i.e. not glassy like some demeters are. There is a 'room balance' knob that tilts the eq towards more highs or more lows. (Does not effect the DI out.) Never tried the x-over. I have no use for it. The D.I. is ok. Not in the same territory as JDI or the one on my Cali76 tx, but not bad either. The foot switch is very nice. I put in a set of tung-sols. I really like the sound of them. (I like bite and crunch.) This is a very good rock pre IMO. As for the overdrive, it is ok. I actually started to get some sounds from it that I like recently. For a while, I didn't care for it at all. So I would say that it has some limited use if you carefully dial in a sound. If you are really an over-drive guy that has very defined tastes, I would use a pedal overdrive of your choice instead. If you are ever down in Southern New England, look me up and I will demo it for you.

3. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

4. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I have a TB1200 which has the same Preamp... I also have an Alembic F2B.... The tone controls on the Alembic have a much greater swing in EQ per knob than the TB1 has.. At least in my units...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I had an F1-X many years ago. It has been too long for me to compare the eq with the TBP-1. The only thing I would add is that the TBP-1 sounds a little more trad than what I recall from the F1-X. I recently sold a Kern IP-777 which also has the Fender tone stack. I never really got to like the Kern sound. Same tone-stack, completely different tone.