Dents in wood cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lowendluver, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Lowendluver

Lowendluver

Hi guys, need to hear from your experience/expert advice.

I got a second-hand cabinet in pretty good conditions, however I just realised it's got a couple of dents from transport! I think it's me the only one to blame, I'm afraid.

I use an aluminium hand truck. I load the cabinet in its roqsolid cover, however dents appeared at the back, on the bottom right. There is also a small dent a bit higher up on the left side, that seems to me it's from the aluminium structure as well.

Please refer to picture below.

Sound-wise, it's all good, but my question is: would it develop a problem in the mid-to-long term?
    Is there a way to fix it?

I still use the hand truck but with foams atached to the structure.

Please help!
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    I am no expert but I think you are fine. From the best of my knowledge Eden is solidly made gear and some slight indentations should not cause any problems. If you post the exact model number someone with more knowledge may be able to tell you what kind of wood the cab is made of, but I still don't think it will be a problem.
  3. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Neither of those look like anything to worry about. No holes, no structural damage - that cab will probably look and sound just the same 10 years from now.
  4. Lowendluver

Lowendluver

Thanks mate, it's an Eden Ex112 @4ohms

It's my first cab ever! I feel so bad about it :meh: it sounds really good thou.. I love it!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

IMO, picking up a cover for it wiil keep it looking good (and clean) for years to come. It's then usually the bottom of the cab that gets beatup. Installing castors usually takes care of that.
  7. Lowendluver

Lowendluver

Thanks mate. I keep the cab with its roqsolid cover all the time, even when I load it on the hand truck to take it down to the studio for rehearsal.

Sorry, I might just have been panicking a bit...
  8. hover

hover

Oh, the folly of OSB covered with rat fur. Don't call them dents, call them character and you'll be fine.

Not hurting the cab in any way tho.

But really, a dolly for a compact 112 cab? I bet the dolly weighs more than that cab.
  9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Now you won't worry as much when you get the next ones ;)
  10. jmg3644

jmg3644 Supporting Member

Get a damp cloth and a steam iron. Place damp cloth over the dent and move steam iron tip over the dent. Don't let it sit. Keep it moving. Keep checking and keep cloth damp. Should raise the wood underneath.
  11. bobcruz

bobcruz

Fixed that for you. It's the lightweight plywood that makes the cabinet easy to dent.
  12. hover

hover

Poplar ply maybe? If so, no wonder then. Cab would still be fine, no doubt. Thank God it's not MDF.
    I used to work with both, and both would dent if you looked at them wrong. Almost at will.
  13. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Having any markings on a cabinets is like having it on your basses. Its just looks better.
  14. Lowendluver

Lowendluver

Thanks for all the explanations guys!

I feel much better now, somehow...
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That may take the dent out of the wood, but it may also cause the glue to let go of the rat fur.
    Staccato likes this.
  16. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

Man, I've seen cabinets practically splintering at the corners, with chunks of wood missing and still blasting away. I hardly think that tiny little dent merits much concern, plus it's bound to happen eventually.
  17. Lowendluver

Lowendluver

Well after all what you guys have said, I'm not that worried anymore and the cab sounds great actually. I don't mind those dents now, really, and I don't think I will ever try to fix them

Thanks!
  18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

EX series is made with a lower grade wood I believe.
    Dents are OK. I have a 20 year old Bag End cab that is beat up plenty.
    Even fell off the van once and another time I backed into it.
    it just rolled and scratched a bit but still pumping solid bass.
  19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

If the dents are being caused by the dolly even with the cover on, I'd mount some padding to the dolly or find another one with padding.

IMO, no need to keep adding dents when the source can be modied to prevent them.:smug: