1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

DePaul School of Music

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Amedina10215, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Amedina10215

Amedina10215

Hey, I've been playing bass for about a year now and these forums have helped me make a lot of my choices as a new bassist. I have my audition for DePaul University coming up in February and i was hoping for some advice from any alumni, fellow students or anyone one who is experienced with college auditions. I will be playing the Capuzzi, Simandl No.17, and Gigue from Bach's first Cello suite. As for equipment I'll be using one of Bob's Brazilwood Germans with Soft Oak Rosin and a Christopher bass Prominence 400. Thanks a lot. This is my first time posting.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Has anyone encouraged you to audition for music school at this point (teacher, conductor, etc)? I wouldn't think one year is enough time to get to the level that DePaul accepts, unless you are simply amazing!

3. Amedina10215

Amedina10215

I've been encouraged by my luthier, my private lessons teacher, and my orchestra director. My luthier and private lessons teacher want me to audition at DePaul, Northwestern, Butler and IU but DePaul is my top choice because I'd like to stay in Chicago. I'm not amazing but I can hold my own with every one of the bass players I've met in my age group. I fell in love with the bass my Junior year and I can't see myself being anything but a music educator in the future. I wish I had more time with the instrument before I had to start applying to college but I am determined. I've contacted Rob Kassinger over at DePaul already with inquiries about lessons.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

He'll give you what you need to know. Good luck!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Will Yager

Will Yager

The most general and useful piece of audition advice I ever got was to play something you sound good on, even if it isn't the most virtuosic or showy piece.

7. ILIA

ILIA

I'm curious. Why did you feel it was important that you tell us the gear you will be using?

It sounds like Capuzzi Concerto and Gigue from Suite #1 are great choices. You should use editions of both works that give you the best chance of keeping it in tune for auditions.

8. Amedina10215

Amedina10215

Thanks! I appreciate the interest.

9. Amedina10215

Amedina10215

I did simply because I've been asked what kind of gear I'm using very often. I figured I'd get it out of the way.

10. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

People may ask, but keep in mind it really doesn't matter unless it drastically impacts your sound. (No one will care what rosin you use, brand of bow, etc). As long as you can play well (or well enough) and get a good sound of of your bassthat's what affects your chances of college admission.

11. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

+1
    It's always pertinent to bring up the story of how Hal Robinson won principal of the NSO playing Dragonetti. Or how people win pro auditions playing Eccles.

12. pedro

pedro

My son auditioned for Rob Kassinger, who was recommended to us by his teacher, Larry Gray. I can't say enough nice things about Mr. Kassinger. Super nice man, and an excellent musician too. He's a very fine jazz bassist as well.

13. pedro

pedro

In my family there are two kinds of people we never forget

1. People that were/are nice to my kids

and

2. People that weren't nice to them.

14. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

+1 I've known Rob a long time and he is a terrific guy.